Interior finish

Old 10-14-14, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior finish

Hey guys,I have enclosed my covered lanai or porch . It is appox. 11'x13' and only has one full wall, I removed the sliding glass doors going onto the porch,added a full window at one end and french doors and window at the entrance.Now the inside is a combination of bare concrete block and rough textured painted plaster.Rather than drywall I was thinking of a smooth [as possible] stucco or ? finish.My question is,how smooth [less sand] can you make stucco or is there some other finish that's suitable. ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The smoothest I ever saw normal stucco was sort of a fine sand finish. I'm sure it can be done smoother like plaster, but it's not normally done on home exteriors, so I haven't seen it.

Old 10-15-14, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Stucco can be applied fairly smooth but the less texture there is the more apt any discrepancies in the wall will show and the more skilled the stucco man needs to be.

Old 10-15-14, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
With the right material stucco can be made smooth. Around here the finish is known as EMF. I don't know what that means. It is also called Santa Barbara Mission Finish. The Finish material is made with very fine aggregate and it is spread on, doubled then water troweled through the set. There is a strong likelyhood of checks in the finish and any crack will be more obvious than with a texture. A skilled mechanic can make it look almost as good as smooth plaster. In Africa I saw them do this. They got the wall straight and flat with Portland cement plaster, This was on interior work but they used cement plaster the same mix as stucco brown coat. Anyway after it was very tight almost completely set they would mix up a slurry of straight cement and water to a consistency a little thicker than paint. With a tin can they would fling this at the wall then trowel it in. It was also almost as smooth as smooth whitecoat finish.
Some but not all interior plaster finishes can be applied over Portland cement plaster bases and they can be made so smooth they shine.
And bare concrete block make a good plaster base for gypsum plaster. It might be acceptable for your application though gypsum plaster does not stand up to moister or broad temperature fluctuations as well as Portland cement plaster does.
So after all of this: what you want can be done just use the right stuff and have someone do it who knows how.