Help with old retaining wall that is next to a lake

Old 10-24-14, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with old retaining wall that is next to a lake

Hey guys, I need some help understanding and doing damage control. My girlfriend has grown up in this lake house, but over the years the wall has been falling apart. Her solution was just shoving rocks into the open gaps. Also, the wall is slanting inward toward the lake. Neither one of us really have the money to knock it down and start over, but does anyone have any helpful information so I can try to restore it as much as possible? Thank you

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  49.1 KBName:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 411
Size:  50.4 KBName:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 454
Size:  50.4 KBName:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  53.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-14, 02:26 PM
One method that would be very effective in protecting that existing wall would be the use of a second wall in front of it made with Gabions. They are basically a cage into which rock, broken concrete or other material such type are put. They are very effective at retaining material and preventing erosion. They are very easy to DIY, just a lot of labor. They don't build the prettiest wall but it's very effective and would solve your problem for quite a while. Here's an article you may want to look at: Gabion Retaining Wall Ideas - Landscaping Network

Old 10-24-14, 03:32 PM
who owns the property ? if you don't have any $$$, its impossible as you need some materials,,, IF they have no $, buying gabion bskts then rock to fill them aren't much of a help, no ? better luck next year !

Old 10-24-14, 04:08 PM
The baskets and rock are extremely low-cost items. Obviously repairing that wall is not going to be done for free no matter what you do. This is probably the cheapest option of any.

Old 10-25-14, 12:44 AM
By any means, I don't expect a 20 dollar fix it solution, I just can't spend 3,000 to rip it down and rebuild it. In a sense I was looking for options that are cost effective. I know money needs to be put into it and I'm not afraid of being out there for a whole day. I just want it to be safe and practical. But so far thank you for the opinions. I will definitely look into gabion. Thanks guys

Old 10-25-14, 04:27 AM
IF you get that work done in a day, you're a better man than most i've got a $ on gabions somewhere as we use them... impo, its less expensive to rebuild what you have compared to buying gabions but its still lots more than a day's work