What to do with 30 tons of clay?

Old 10-31-14, 08:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with 30 tons of clay?

Im planning to pour 672 square feet of driveway and need to dig it up. But I have nowhere to spread this clay on my property.

672 cubic feet is 25 Cubic yards of clay that weights 30 tons (yes, 67,200 pounds!)

I have a friend who told me I can dump clay at his property but I can haul 1800 lb at time so thats 37 trips. 15 miles roundtrip that takes 90 minutes. Only gas over $100. Plus wear and tear on my truck. Plus 55 hours of my life waited. So dumping on friends property is waste of time.

So, do you have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-14, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Call a disposal/heavy hauling company and have them send a truck. Give them your friends address and make arrangements for him to be there. Or just let them dispose of it wherever. If you have the machine that can load it, probably cost less than $200.

No easy answer here...spend your money, time, labor and beat up your truck or bite the pullet and pay someone.

Old 10-31-14, 08:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
You might get lucky and find some one that needs clean fill and will come haul it off for free. I'd hire a dump truck before I'd transport more than a load or 2 in a pickup.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 10-31-14, 08:58 AM
S
I was thinking about ordering dumpster, loading it up and asking them to dump at my friends place. I think it will take two dumpsters because 25 cubic of compacted clay become 50 yards of loose clay.
So two 30 yard dumpsters dumped at my friends place will cost me about $500.
I do not have any heavy equipment to load the dirt.
Plus the time I will have to waste on spreading dirt around is probably is good 2 days of work.
BTW regular constriction trash costs $75 per ton, but this is regular clean dirt.
Someone suggested to list it on craiglist as free clean fill.

Old 10-31-14, 09:01 AM
S
Someone just suggested clean fill too Thank you for welcome.

Old 10-31-14, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
I do not have any heavy equipment to load the dirt.
So you will be digging this out by hand? Wow, yer a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Maybe in your area, but in my last 2 places, clean fill was soil, not clay. Regional differences maybe.

Old 10-31-14, 10:07 AM
M
Most dumpsters also have a weight limit in everyone I've seen was significantly below the 15 tons you will be putting into each one. Most I've seen her down around 5 tons per dumpster except from companies that do masonry recycling.

Old 10-31-14, 10:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
While you may find someone that want's fill dirt and will take it away for you the timing could be an issue. The most reliable way to accomplish it on your scale is to hire a dump truck and have the soil dumped at your friends house.

Old 10-31-14, 03:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Pottery companies use clay. Make a deal. It's yours if you want it.

Pottery in Pennsylvania - Manta

Old 10-31-14, 05:07 PM
S
@Pulpo: My clay is not pure enough.

@Msradell: you right about weight limit, I forgot about that but I think its more than 5 tons. Depends on that dumpster size I guess.

@Gunguy45: all by hand with my helper, done about 30 tons this summer if not counting concrete that we had to break up, lower it and pour new one on top of it.

Im planning to do this project next year. It probably will take over 1000 sixty pound bags.

I already mixed about 1000 sixty pound bags of concrete mix this year to do over 336 square feet of sidewalk at over 4 reinforced with mesh and rebar and 400 square feet of driveway at over 9 with mesh and rebar. Expansion joints every 8 feet and control joints every 4 feet filled with self-leveling sealer. Concrete I used is 4K psi but added Portland to make it about 5K.

I know its overkill but I did it for myself.

P.S. 18 lb of candy gone in two hours! Over hundred kids, had to turn off all my outside lights. Never happened before. Some kids came in cars LOL

Old 10-31-14, 05:11 PM
S
I will probably will take picture of area, then picture the clay from the side as layer cake so people will know what they dealing with and post it on craiglist as free fill in.

I fill probably will have to offer to load their truck or trailer for free.

Old 10-31-14, 05:46 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
All clay needs to be processed. It's worth a few calls.

Old 11-01-14, 06:13 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
IF you're lucky, your local govt landfill will use it when they cap an area

Old 11-01-14, 07:06 PM
A
I got rid of 20 yards of dirt, mostly clay, in a dumpster. I couldn't believe when the truck lifted the thing. I think it cost my like $280 or something.

Old 11-07-14, 11:03 AM
Anyone who spends twice as much as ready-mix concrete would cost, for the pleasure of batching 1000 bags of concrete, is either a bit balmy or just enjoys hard work. You'll get a much better job by pouring ready-mix, with no cold joint problems to deal with and having the benefit of ordering entrained air in the mix. Saving money by writing a check is a lot easier than sweating and grunting for a few days, isn't it?

Old 01-12-15, 06:22 AM
S
How to prevent frozen clean fill dirt from sticking to the wall of container?

I have 20 yard dumpster that was just delivered. I will fill it with clay. Dump company will hall and dump this dirt to my friend’s property. It will take me several days to fill dumpster and clay will freeze. My concern is that frozen clay will not fall out when truck driver will try to dump it.

So can you give me any suggestion what I can do to make sure clay falls out from dumpster!

Only thing I could think of is line dumpster with plastic. I have some 2.5 mm plastic that will line dumpster.

Can you suggest anything else?

Dumpster size: about 4’X6’X20’

For people who interested in price, it will cost me $200 plus $50 in tips. Company does not care about weight and told me that it’s not possible to overload 20 yard dumpster with clean fill dirt.

Ps I started thread about 3 months ago about clay and how to get rid of it. I was not able to find it so I started this new thread.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-12-15 at 09:13 AM. Reason: combined threads
Old 01-12-15, 07:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
Yes, plastic would help. Even if you don't do a perfect job it would help the dirt break free when they tip to dump. Another option might be to grease or oil the sides and bottom of the container.

Old 01-12-15, 10:33 AM
S
Name:  2015-01-12_13-00-41_298.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  44.2 KB

Lined with plastic 3.5 mm I think. It's raining....

Old 01-12-15, 10:51 AM
S
to BridgeMan45

I paid $2000 for 1000 bags. So $2 per bag. I mixed about 150 to 200 per day.
Ready concrete was over $3000. With ready mix I had to rush to level, not know if it’s hot load (bad concrete) Not know if it’s proper strength or mixed properly. I was redoing sidewalks because previous owner probably hired hot shot, know it all contractor that poured bad concrete.

Old 01-12-15, 02:52 PM
Any pix, to show us how your job turned out? And how much entrained air did you incorporate into your batched, bags of site-mixed? Scaling and cracking are more likely in your climate, without entrained air.

Old 01-12-15, 08:19 PM
S
I cured it for a week. All joints filled with rubber self leveling filler.

Attached Images    
Old 01-12-15, 08:42 PM
It looks a job of questionable life. Did you fill the joints after the concrete was cured enough for all the shrinkage to take place and then dry enough for the filler to adhere? Variable mixes (proportions and mixing times) yeild variable concrete and the absorption is one initial key to uniformity and placement.

Many ready-mix companies here would not even unload a job like that (based on a drivers description to the dispatcher) if it was not 4000 psi air entrained concrete. It is cheaper to lose a sale than to go through the claims and hassles from a bad job.

The people that make and deliver concrete have thousands of formulas (approved mixes) to use to provide extreme accuracy and uniformity seem the agree that the major cost is delivery and the cement is less than that. Many that are in both the aggregate business describe ready mix as the most expensive way to sell aggregate. I know of several that make more money by bagging the materials and let others deal with the localized transportation.

Dick

Old 01-12-15, 09:19 PM
S
I cured it for a week or more under plastic, then cut from expansion joints. About moth later I filled it with rubber filler.
Most contractors cut corners, including concrete delivery company. Previous sidewalk was poured in one day by local company. I think it lasted about 10 years. Im confident that my work will look good even after 30 years. Specially driveway because it thicker than 12, made with 4K psi plus 3 lb of Portland per bag. Plus rebar and remesh. Plus curing process. Plus expansion joints every 8 feet and deep control joints every 8 feet. Sidewalks probably closer to 5-5

Old 01-12-15, 10:55 PM
I'll ask again--how much air entrainment?

If you say "none," it shows you might not be as smart as you think you are.

Old 01-12-15, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Easy now folks....don't make me step in.

Old 01-13-15, 07:52 AM
L
Bridgeman is correct. If there is no entrained air in the mix, in a few years the concrete will begin to disintegrate in the PA weather.

Old 02-03-15, 05:51 AM
S
Houston, we have a problem! Almost full 30 yard container, lined with plastic, filled with frozen clay will NOT dump no matter how hard you try. I told driver “$100 if you can dump this”. So he had it raised almost vertically, raised dam container to about 2 feet and dropped it vertically several times. Then set rear end down and drove off fast so front of container would drop. NOTHING!! Dam thing frozen solid. Thinking back I would have poured something between metal and plastic. Vegetable oil, vinegar, windshield ice melt, aircraft deicing fluid… Me, my buds and driver did not anticipate this, everyone was confident that it will drop…

Good news that dump company is behind its word. Agreement was $200 and they told me they will not charge me overage fees. Some places charge from $3 to $15 a day after first 7 days. This guys told me it’s not a big deal and that we will wait for weather to brake.

In meantime SECOND dumpster is coming today. I need something better than just plastic this time…. So common people, think!!! Vegetable oil will be washed away by rain this and next week. Vinegar or windshield fluid is right before pick up. BUT what can I now do…

I was thinking 5 gallons of grease. I saw 5 gal. lithium grease for about $60. Lubricate walls of container and then line it with plastic. Do this as I load the container so its not so slippery….
Any thoughtful suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

BTW I did math and dumpster was about 25 tons plus 20 tons truck. Rolling on top of my new driveway, no cracks that I can see. I did not use air entrainment addictive. I have concrete pad that I poured over 8 years ago and it’s not showing any signs of stress.

Old 02-03-15, 07:30 AM
L
In WNY, we use rock salt below the liner in the winter.

Old 02-03-15, 12:31 PM
S
It's going to rain and I thinks that salt will melt. I got 10 lbs. all-purpose grease from walmart. $2.5 per pound. That was enough to do walls. So now Im thinking pouring used synthetic oil on bottom of container and covering everything with plastic.
What you think? Should I stick with a grease?

I'm thinking I will have to wash dumpster before returning it.