Gap Between Siding and Pavement

Old 01-02-15, 10:26 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap Between Siding and Pavement

I have an issue at my house where there is large gap between the garage siding and the pavement round the side.

The siding runs about five metres and the gap between the siding and the concrete ranges from 1 to 3cm. It was filled in the some flexible sealant, but it tended to break and gaps opened up in it, so I've removed all the sealant to try again, so I'm not sure what the best way is to fill this gap? I need to fill it as water gets in there and the garage is below ground level. The siding is fibre cement sheets.

My thoughts were to fill concrete in there OR install some sort of flashing OR use some sort of sealant again, but I don't know what?

Any ideas? I would upload some pictures, but it keeps failing when I try.

Old 01-03-15, 04:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Caulking or flashing is preferred over concrete/mortar.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-03-15, 06:41 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That siding never should have been in contact with it in the first place.
James Hardee needs at least 2" from any solid surface.
If not the waters going to wick up the wall and delaminate the siding.

Old 01-03-15, 07:34 AM
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Siding is vertical. Pavement is horizontal. You need a gap between the two to prevent wicking.

Last edited by chandler; 01-03-15 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-03-15, 11:04 PM
W
Name:  SAM_0523.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  SAM_0524.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  38.7 KB

Here are some pictures of the situation. So do you think I should just leave the gap there and not fill it in with anything? I don't really like how they have done the siding on the house with fibre cement, but I just have to put up with it I guess.

Old 01-04-15, 12:32 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
sealant would be correct - caulk would not be correct,,, sika polyurethane & closed cell backer rod avail @ your local apron/vest store in the masonry supply aisle

Old 01-04-15, 12:56 AM
M
"Apron/vest store": in the USA, a big box store such as Home Depot or Lowe's where the employees' uniform is a vest or an apron of a certain color over street clothes.

Old 01-04-15, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
All caulks are sealants but not every caulk is suited for every job. You need to use the correct caulk for the job at hand. If your local big box store doesn't sell backer rod, try your local paint store. I've always bought backer rod at the paint store and if/when I've had any questions as to which caulking is best for the job at hand - the paint rep has always been able to help me out. You can't always trust the help at a big box as many of them lack good training

Old 01-04-15, 04:17 AM
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
So you really don't have "siding". As the others have said, a good elastomeric sealant after some serious cleaning of the area would be in order.

Old 01-04-15, 09:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would use a decent brand of polyurethane as opposed to silicone, as many of the latter won't perform well when constantly exposed to wet conditions (and they used to even tell you that on the package, but I don't know if that's still true, not having bought any for many years).

Old 01-04-15, 05:33 PM
W
Thanks for the great feedback. I've used Sika Polyurethane Sealant/Adhesive to fill in the gaps and used a backing rod where the gaps are quite large. Will see how that goes, this polyurethane stuff seems quite good and strong (although quite expensive), will probably use it for other things.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: