Chimney Tuckpointing - Causing roof leak

Old 01-04-15, 03:44 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chimney Tuckpointing - Causing roof leak

I am 99% certain my chimney needs to be retuckpointed and reflashed (wet spot in my dining room ceiling directly below where the flashing meets the roof). I know I cannot have the chimney redone in winter (it will not be warm enough here in the midwest for another 8-12 weeks), but is there anything I can do to help minimize the damage? I can get into my unfinished attic space right over the spot, but I'm not sure what, if anything I can do.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-15, 06:42 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's why they make blue tarps amongst other needs,,, also avail in brown

Old 01-04-15, 08:11 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Should have been addressed months if not years ago.
Not likely a tarp will be of much help, it's not the roof that's leaking.
If there's no snow on the roof it can still be reflashed.

Old 01-04-15, 09:35 PM
Tarps also tend to have a tendency for hampering the draft function of your chimney--filling the house with wood smoke, winter or summer, is never fun.

Take a good flashlight up in the attic on a day when leaking from rain or melting snow occurs, and observe where the water is coming through. Then you could either goop up the outside of that specific area with roof cement (the kind for wet or dry use), or even install a (temporary) piece of over-sized sheet metal flashing, bedding it in a layer of the same roof cement. I wouldn't try to seal anything from the inside, unless it's an isolated but distinct leak source--doing so could cause the water to seek other entry points, potentially causing serious damage to roof sheathing and framing members. A simple repair could wind up costing thousands if the wrong shortcuts are taken.

Old 01-05-15, 09:34 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chimney may be non-functioning

I believe the chimney is non-functioning as I can see that plastic pvc pipes vent the new furnace to the outside. The house is 90 years old and at one time had a coal furnace, so I think the chimney no longer serves a purpose. If I am correct, can the entire chimney be covered by a tarp until the weather warms up sufficiently to have it tuckpointed/flashed and a new cap installed?

Old 01-05-15, 09:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
If there is no flue being used in the chimney it's ok to cover it up. The tuck pointing could be done on a marginal day if you cover it up when done to shelter it from the cold and help contain a small amount of heat.

Old 01-06-15, 04:43 AM
S
hamper, indeed ! if anyone's dumb enough to start a fire in a chimney wearing a tarp, they deserve backdraft'd smoke + whatever damage occurs all over the house,,, we just finished a whole house interior repaint because a dummy tenant wanted to enjoy the romance of a fire - unfortunately this broad forgot the damper should be open

thankfully it wasn't 1 of our houses

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: