Cleaning concrete sidewalks

Old 01-10-15, 02:46 PM
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Cleaning concrete sidewalks

Greetings,looking for a method of cleaning concrete sidewalks.
Thanks
Geo

Old 01-10-15, 03:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
A good detergent [add bleach if you want to whiten it] a stiff broom and a pressure washer.

Old 01-10-15, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And if not clean enough after the bleach treatment, consider trying a pressure washer with commercial-grade cleaner. And if that's still not clean enough, try a light etching with very dilute muriatic acid, quickly followed by thorough water-flushing.

Old 01-10-15, 10:16 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use my 2500 lb. pressure washer, with a turbo blaster nozzle.
Cleans it as fast as you can move the nozzle.
Odd time of year to be cleaning sidewalks in NH, may want to wear your ice skates.

Old 01-11-15, 06:37 AM
Actually in Fla.now,the association is looking into either cleaning the sidewalks or painting them with some product, my thought is clean not paint.
Geo

Old 01-11-15, 07:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Painting them would be a very bad idea!!!
Two of our homes have concrete sidewalks that had not been cleaned in at least 20 years.
They where almost black from mold growing on them.
The 50 ft. walk took me about 1/2 hour using no chemicals that may have killed the grass.
Just a pressure washer with that turbo nozzle.
When I got done people thought I'd pored a new walkway.
A real pressure washing company may even have a special attachment made just for walkways.
It's round and has a rotating head.

Old 01-11-15, 07:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
If I was to do anything coating wise - it would be a concrete stain but even then the concrete needs to be cleaned first! While I've stained quite a few driveways and sidewalks [even painted a few] it was always with a disclaimer. I wouldn't recommend painting the sidewalk.

Old 01-13-15, 03:47 AM
S
the hoa should find someone w/common sense 1st as there isn't ANY paint that's traffic resistant - auto, pedestrian, skateboard, inline skates, doggie toe nails most efficient's a 3,500psi @ 3 1/2gpm rated pressure washer w/turbo nozzle - either direct drive OR belt-driven pump,,, the walk-behind 2nozzle cleaner works ok IF you don't mind zebra stripes,,, you can rent all this stuff, too altho i suspect the hoa would rather spend $$$ & not physically exert themselves

IF someone thinks muriatic acid's necessary, dilute apron/vest store jug stuff w/wtr - 1 HCl: 8Wtr,,, apply w/std plastic garden sprinkler jug,,, neutralize acid residue w/solution of regular ammonia & wtr - 8wtr : 1 ammonia - rinse well,,, no reason that grass burns as all turns into nitrogen fertilizer if you do it right

conc stains are translucent & susceptible to uv fade,,, there are no opaque conc stains, only coatings

Old 01-19-15, 04:05 PM
Common sense is very hard to find! The main problem seems to there are a lot of stains that make the sidewalks look really grubby.can't quite figure out your formular with Muriatic acid.
Geo

Old 01-24-15, 02:07 AM
S
if it were easy, everybody would be doing it home depot/lowe's sell mason-strength muriatic acid - in a 5gal bucket, place 1 part acid & 8 parts water,,, spread over sidewalk w/plastic garden sprinkler can,,, follow this w/1 part regular dollar store ammonia & 6 parts water,,, neutralizes acid & protects lawn,,, obviously you need to soak the adjacent grass 1st, too

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: