Bad Concrete Work Pouring Footers & Cinder Blocks? Help!

Old 01-20-15, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Concrete Work Pouring Footers & Cinder Blocks? Help!

I'm having a new home built on a raised slab on fill foundation in Charleston SC. I don't know a lot about how the foundation walls and footers should look...but is it ok for them to have chipped (on purpose) the cinder blocks at the bottom because the rebar didn't line up? And then they just fill in the chipped holes they made with mortar? Please help, I don't know if doing that is up to code, if it just looks bad, or if it's no big deal and I shouldn't worry....Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 01-20-15, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I assume the block voids where the rebar is will be filled with concrete. I wouldn't think it's an issue ..... but I'm a painter, the masons should be along later.

Old 01-20-15, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The top notched blocks are where the raised slab is cast into and onto, with longitudinal rebar. This ensures good anchorage between the slab and the walls. The notched out faces at the bottom of the walls appear to be where projecting footing rebar didn't quite line up with the intended wall locations. It doesn't meet code, and should be addressed by covering/embedding any exposed rebar with mortar or concrete.

Old 01-21-15, 04:53 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like they already patch'd lower course, bdge,,, IF you want, i can stop by on our way back to hh

Old 01-21-15, 08:22 AM
Man if anyone wants to stop and take a look that would be great!

I did get a response from the builder today....

"I can definitely see you concerns on the matter at hand, I have requested an engineerís report on this. Iíll be in touch with you as soon as I hear back from him on an acceptable fix. This type of thing does happen from time to time but its not going to slow things down too much."

Here are more pics of the footings. They must have been drunk when they set the rebar, it's all over the place...
Name:  IMAG0422.jpg
Views: 4045
Size:  47.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0430.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  IMAG0424.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  50.7 KB

Old 01-21-15, 09:26 AM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I do see your concerns, but suspect the engineer will suggest some minor (more cosmetic) adjustments. Having done considerable contracting, If I were to hire a good contractor to build a new home for me I would take a 6 week vacation and return when the building is almost done. The unfortunate side to keeping an eye on every step is you will remember all of the flaws and in a way it can spoil your dream home. It is amazing, even at my age, the details I can remember from homes built 40 years ago and not all of it was correct. If I were to repurchase one of those homes and move in, I would be able to look right through those walls and see those mistakes. Do they make a difference, no, but they would bother me.

Not watching will make you a happier home owner.

Bud

Old 01-21-15, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I were to hire a good contractor to build a new home for me I would take a 6 week vacation
I understand that thinking, but...

When I had a home built by a reputable builder in VA, we visited every few days just to see the progress. On one such visit I noticed that the block and concrete foundation for the fireplace was about 2 ft off of where it should have been which would have eliminated one of the windows. Called the site super and he actually thanked me for catching it (tells you something about his supervision).

Even then, on final inspection, they had placed the faux beams in the den incorrectly. The ceiling fan was centered in the room in front of the fireplace as it should have been, but the beams were just started on the wall the spaced every whatever feet giving it a very off balance look. Tearing it all out and redoing would have delayed us by several weeks, so we just worked out a deal where they bought me Hunter fans of my choice and I took building material off their other sites to build my shed.

Old 01-21-15, 12:48 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
LOL, I probably should have underlined good contractor, not that the good ones still don't make mistakes. But I did have one in mind when I typed that that I would be happy to leave my keys with as he is just a hawk and watches everything.

I watch some of those flip shows and wonder what the current owners think when, after the fact, they watch the show about their home and see the termite damage and rats running around. I know some people would be very uncomfortable forever having seen what was actually done. Sorry to drift.

Bud

Old 01-22-15, 11:03 AM
Resolution???

Ok so here's the actual letter from the engineer with his "fix"....
Basically he say's you could cut, drill, and epoxy (like one of you guys mentioned you'd most like have done) but in lieu of that it's acceptable to encase those bent dowel bars exposed to earth by encasing in no less than 3 inches of concrete.

What do you guys think, good to go or still not ok? (not that I have an option at this point either way).
Name:  Engineer_Report.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  52.6 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: