Slab in Basement

Old 01-26-15, 05:26 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slab in Basement

I know this is interior, but seemed more applicable to the Masonry forum.

How thick would you typically pour a basement floor?

How much and what size gravel would you put under the slab?

Thanks

Old 01-26-15, 03:21 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
usual thickness is 4" but 3" is often used too,,, compacted granular base + decent vapor barrier,,, most important is a good jnt pattern to prevent random cracking

Old 01-26-15, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
I think the gravel depends a lot on the ground under the concrete. When I was in fla you never saw anyone spread gravel under a slab BUT sand perks pretty good all by itself. Here in tenn I've seen the gravel spread both thick and thin, presumably because of the ground the concrete was going over. You might want to discuss it with some of your local concrete guys to find out what the norm is for your location.

Old 01-26-15, 05:37 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. The soil is almost pure clay, so I would assume gravel will be needed. Just trying to figure out how deep I need to excavate to make the new floor level with the existing.

Old 01-26-15, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A quick telfoncon with your local AHJ will give you a good idea of what they recommend for concrete basement floor base material. If you know of any conscientious home builders in the area, that would be another source of reasonable information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: