How to finish a poorly done millings driveway etension

Old 02-03-15, 10:14 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to finish a poorly done millings driveway etension

Hey everyone,

Glad I found this forum, albeit too late... I needed to have my driveway widened to accommodate a car on the side and to allow entry into/out of the garage. Someone approached me with the option of using millings, he assured me they would compact and level with the existing driveway, and look seamless.

Unfortunately, after I took down the tape protecting the driveway and tried to park a car on the extension, the car just sunk in! I backed off and the millings rolled right off with the car. I contacted the guy who did the job and of course he said he'd come make things right, but didn't. Off to the courthouse I go...

How can I complete the job, or what is the best approach? Would I need to buy additional millings, rent some sort of roller/compactor, spread the millings, compact, repeat, until I get it right? Thanks!Name:  3_Tire Tracks.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  44.4 KBName:  1_Closeup.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  50.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-15, 10:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Never heard of millings but it appears this is either something which doesn't compact or which wasn't compacted by your contractor.

Old 02-03-15, 12:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I suspect it's more a deal where it wasn't compacted correctly. I'd bet he just dumped it, leveled it off and collected his pay You should be able to compact it although you might need more to bring it level with the slab.

Old 02-04-15, 05:02 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
we used millings often for d/w base but nowadays they usually go back to the b-top plants to be recycled into new top,,, screed & roll is your answer - you'll need a ride-on roller they are not a finish surface imo

Old 02-04-15, 06:30 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did he remove the top soil, compact, install driveway cloth, then use a ride on roller to compact it?