Brick mortar looks wet in one part of wall after hard rain

Old 02-20-15, 08:31 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick mortar looks wet in one part of wall after hard rain

Do you guys know whats could be going on with the mortar in this one section of wall? Thank you.

Attachment 46934

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-15, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 645 Votes on 597 Posts
You probably have an ice dam on the roof and water is leaking into the space behind the brick.

Old 02-20-15, 08:39 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Back up and take another picture.
Could be lots of things.
Ice dam on the roof.
Gutters backed up.
Leaking shingles.
Coil stock installed wrong and it's forming a funnel causing water to run into the soffits.
ECT.
Anything's possible with the temperatures we've been having.

Old 02-21-15, 11:51 AM
I
Here are more pictures. Note that the side flashing fell off in the wind recently.

Attachment 46981Attachment 46982

Old 02-22-15, 06:11 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thinking out loud, I see a few things that look off to me that may or may not have anything to do with it leaking.
Looks like someone made there own outside corner instead of a spending the $12.00 for the proper outside corner.
Also looks like for some reason they cut the first piece of siding instead of leaving it whole and using a starter strip.
By doing that they formed a gutter instead of having a flat wall where the water can run off.
Not sure what they where thinking by having that coil stock wrap around the corner like that with nothing behind it.
I would have left that off and just bent the coil to wrap over the end of the fashion strip to cap it off.
Removing a piece of siding above that area should tell you if the water is running down the wall behind the siding.
That can be caused by not enough shingle over hang, ice dam, water running down behind the gutters, someone trying to install the fascia coil stock without removing the gutters so it's not up under the drip edge.

Old 02-22-15, 09:30 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Depending on which way the wind blow when it rains, I wouldn't discount the placement of the medallion at the security light as the infiltration point of moisture getting behind the siding. It would dump right into the j-channel.

Also looks like some wood rot behind the facia wrap, and you have a damaged brick close by. Note that the caulking is open which has allowed the moisture to seep at that point as well.

Old 02-22-15, 09:50 AM
I
Is there a reason there is flashing in front of the bricks? Can I remove the flashing and repair/remortar the bricks? Does there need to be caulk between the top course of bricks and the plywood for the siding?

Old 02-22-15, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The front trim piece is there because the installer (or later home owner) decided to put it there. Your task should be to find where the water is coming in behind it, and then stop that entry point. I'd leave the bricks and mortar alone.

Old 02-22-15, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Seeing the additional pictures, I'd suspect the way the j-channels at the bottom edge of the siding catch the rain water. It will funnel it all to one point (the j-channel ends) and it looks like you can see right into the end of the frieze board. Caulking the bottom of the freize board cladding is only holding water in.

The solution will be to remove the bottom row of siding as well as the j-channel, to cap the end of that frieze board, then flash everything with metal trim coil that is lapped shingle-style under your WRB, then to reinstall the j-channel and siding.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-22-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 02:23 PM
I
Can I just get rid of the frieze board and repair the bricks? Most of the house has the siding above the bricks as you can see on the side of the house in the picture. I don't see why there is a few feet of board on the front.

Old 02-26-15, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
You could, but the 1" gap it's going to leave is going to look kind of funny. You will probably also be hard pressed to remove that ugly bead of caulk from the rough texture of the bricks without leaving chip marks. I hope it's latex and not OSI Quad.