Repairing foundation

Old 02-28-15, 03:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing foundation

My son's house has a combination stone/concrete foundation that is in need of repair. The sewer line, made out of clay tiles, collapsed and washed away some of the dirt that supported some of the foundation wall. The wall has a large chunk of concrete that is still in the foundation, but is loose and cracked all the way around. The dirt below this piece is washed away.

Looking for advice on how to fix? It appears this portion of the wall is about 2' thick at the bottom and tapers to about 1' at the top. The wall is about 3.5' ft tall. We can tell that this loose chunk has been attempted to be patched in place previously.

Good news, it the sewer line has been fixed with 4" PVC successfully. Just need to figure out how/what to do with this washed out area. Almost looks like it needs formed up and a new wall built.

Any help/suggestions/comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-15, 03:53 PM
K
Can you post a picture of the wall in question? Has to sunken away from the sill plates of the house?

Old 03-01-15, 03:57 AM
B
I'll see if i can get a picture from my son. It is located in a tight crawl space. From what he's told me, the foundation above loose chunk is still in tact and supporting the sill plate.

Old 03-01-15, 08:48 AM
K
Often what we will do with old rock/stone foundation walls that are beginning to show signs of instability but not so much that they are falling away from the sill plates is to pour about 6-8 inches of concrete against the wall on the inside. The concrete will work its way in between all the cracks and solidify the wall into one unit. If you are in a tight crawl space, this is probably not a practical option.

In your case, your best option might be to go in and pack as many joints as you can with a stiff concrete mix, sort of like adding mortar between bricks to hold them together. The joints would need to be filled so they come out flush to the existing rock face.

The other option is to temporarily support the house, and dig the old rock wall out, then pour a new wall in its place. This option is usually only done if the rock wall has lost all its structural strength and is no longer holding the house up like it should. It is also not a DIY job. You would need to call on a foundation professional.

Old 03-03-15, 06:24 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
welcome aboard, keith,,, nice to have another guy who knows his stuff