Using cement instead of polymeric sand between pavers

Old 03-09-15, 10:07 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using cement instead of polymeric sand between pavers

Hi,

I am thinking about putting a red brick walkway between my side yard to my drive way. Can I use cement to between the bricks to hold them together rather than polymeric sand and flexible edging? I'm going to use a weed barrier underneath the brick and was hoping to use cement because its more cost effective than having to buy sand and flexible edging.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-15, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I don't see how cement would be less expensive than sand, and why would you need flexible edging with sand and not with cement? Cement will get wet and will become brittle, breaking up and becoming a mess. I would opt for the sand. What is the difference in cost and is that difference worth doing it right?

Old 03-10-15, 04:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Sand and edging for all of the reasons Larry mentioned. This type of installation will need to allow for movement and cemented joints will not do that.

Old 03-10-15, 05:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
I agree. If doing a paver walkway stick with the methods that are known to work like sand or polymeric sand. I've seen some brick and stone paver patios where the installer though mortar would be better than sand.... and it wasn't. Cement dust was left in the nooks and crannies of the pavers/bricks making white spots after it dried and the joints were badly cracked with chunks of mortar coming out. And, there is no fix short of ripping it out and starting over.

Old 03-15-15, 10:02 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like sand is the way to go.