Porch gone wrong.

Old 03-14-15, 06:59 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch gone wrong.

I don't know who installed this stone, but it is obvious it wasn't done properly from when we moved in. It is politely loosening the stones for me. I think after this winter, quite a few are loose enough to pick up. Maybe all of them. I believe the porch was concrete and they slapped the stones on top. I am looking for the correct way to relay these stones. What should have they done to prevent this damage.

https://flic.kr/p/qEA1hu

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-15, 07:46 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Remove the blue stone. Chop out all the lose concrete that's below it. Get a couple bags of mortar mix & a couple jugs of a bonding agent. Mix everything, spread it on the steps & reset the blue stone. You'll need a helper.

Old 03-14-15, 11:25 AM
D
If you look at the steps, you can see calcium deposits from where the water seeped out from the mortar joint below. How do I solve that? With stone sealer? I kind of feel like the water penetration is at the heart of the issue.

For stones that aren't yet from from the mortar, do you think it is likely for me to be able to get them free without breaking the stone? I would love to reset the entire porch. The pitch wasn't quite right on it either.

How thick of a motar bed should I be using?

Old 03-14-15, 01:53 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I was under the impression that all the blue stone was loose. If some are still solid, leave them alone. If you still want to remove them to correct the pitch, try an angle grinder to cut below the stone, all the way around the step. You only need enough mortar to keep the riser height at the proper distance & to pitch the step. When you reset the blue stone, make sure that it's pushed against the riser.

Old 03-14-15, 03:46 PM
D
It's more than just the steps. The whole porch is a problem. I also believe it to be slate.

Old 03-14-15, 04:08 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know about the rest of the porch. You only posted a pic of the steps. Can you demolish it & install another stoop?

Old 03-14-15, 04:12 PM
D
There is more than one picture there.

Sure, I could demolish it and build new if I wanted to do that much work. It would be nice to avoid it though.