Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Could I do a stone veneer on this outside foundation wall that has a crack in it

Could I do a stone veneer on this outside foundation wall that has a crack in it

Old 04-21-15, 08:19 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey all - first time poster just discovering this online forum.

Wall in question - http://i.imgur.com/6y2HoHn.jpg

I have not lived here long and haven't seen it get any worse. Should I seal that wall first? There is a matching wall on the opposite side. I'm thinking a stone veneer would look great. Any other ideas what would look good or how you'd approach it?

The garage foundation (which is straight ahead in the picture) had a large crack as well. I recently got that professionally repaired as it was leaking water anytime it rained.

Bonus question... what is the easiest way I can knock out that stone slab at the bottom? There are three of them across the driveway entrance. The one shown in picture, one in middle, and one opposite side.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-15, 09:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 600 Votes on 554 Posts
It looks like someone has already attempted to seal/repair the crack in the wall and it has moved some since then. I don't think any Band-aid surface patch or caulk is going to help much. You veneer the wall but I would treat the crack like a control joint and not have stones bridging across it.

I assume there were gates or a fence across the end of the driveway. You could remove that piece with a jackhammer then cut off the steel with a reciprocating saw, torch or grinder. I would take it down well below grade then patch the hole with concrete.

Old 04-21-15, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you need a bit of exercise, skip the jackhammer rental. A workout with a 10-lb. maul will easily get rid of the concrete stubs, probably in less time than it takes going back and forth several times to the tool rental place--and a lot cheaper, too.

Old 04-24-15, 02:06 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i'd do the same as dane,,, other than the crk, the wall looks good so mud the wall, lay up the stone, & grout the seams using a mason's cake bag DON'T have stone over the crk as it may move,,, MUCH easier to repoint than replace stone