Parge coating crumbling block/parged retaining wall

Old 04-24-15, 03:35 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Parge coating crumbling block/parged retaining wall

hey, i've got a block retaining wall that was parged a long time ago and it's crumbling on one side real bad. i was going to try and hire someone to fix this but was wondering if this might be a diy job for me and what would be involved? it's a tricky spot because it's on a corner that is rounded and has a unique shape kind of. thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-15, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Show us a few pix, so we can see what you see, and help us give you better advice on how to attack the problem.

Old 04-25-15, 04:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Is there drainage on the other side of the retaining wall? If water is allowed to collect behind the wall and migrate thru the masonry it will have a detrimental effect on whatever is applied to the face side of the wall. ........... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-01-15, 08:00 AM
W
I've attached 2 pics. Also separately a pic of a stone block grill in bad shape I was considering parging over as well, wondering thoughts on that.

Attached Images    
Old 05-01-15, 06:04 PM
The retaining wall can be re-parged, but it should be done only after proper surface preparation. Meaning, all loose and delaminated material needs to first be removed, down to solid members. Removal by hand, using a chisel and heavy hammer, is probably preferable than an impact hammer, because of the likelihood of the latter destroying underlying block that you don't want damaged.

Old 05-02-15, 06:56 PM
W
Could you elaborate on how i would go about this? Would i bother with wire lath?

Old 05-03-15, 06:06 AM
L
If parge coating is crubling b'cz of moisture problem apply lime based parge coating that is vapor permeable that will prevent damage to retaining wall but you will have to redo parging every couple of years.

IF you do regular purge coating and problem is moisture the problem will just move above parge coating,in other word it will start crumbling above the repaired parge area.

Old 05-03-15, 08:39 AM
W
Would you recommend using wire lath on the wall or just try to patch it, maybe add some tap on screws? What about the built in grill, is that just a tear down or could I lath around the entire thing and parge that as well. Some of the blocks are pulling away from the grout. If I'm lathing does it matter since I would be driving cement in everything?

Old 05-03-15, 02:34 PM
You seem to have a love affair with wire lath. I think a mistake would be to use it if the material under it is not sturdy, clean and sound. Reread the first sentence of Post No. 5.

Regarding the grill, same advice applies. Why not just reset the loose blocks in mortar, allow to cure, and then give the entire thing a coat of Thoroseal and be done with it? Far less work, quicker, and less likely to cause future grief (like your parging plan will).

Old 05-09-15, 07:16 AM
S
i'm a fan of expandable wire mesh too for 1 thing, its the right way to repair the loosened parge coat,,, we routinely folow up other contractor's work which has failed as they omitted mechanically fastened mesh,,, that being said, reverse side of wall MUST be waterproofed too for anything to stick w/any semblance of permanence,,, we don't get callbacks from this method however we usually lose the bid 1st time around