What kind of anchors to use for this project?

Old 04-27-15, 07:27 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of anchors to use for this project?

Hi,

I bought this from Sears and i am looking to set it up in my backyard. The setup will be exactly the same as the following picture, with the exception of a Brick house, and the backyard flooring is paver bricks. (done with cement, not sand gravel). I want to anchor it onto the brick wall and onto the floor.

Name:  spin_prod_782865912.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  15.7 KB

What type of drill bit, screws, anchor should i be using to avoid this to be blown away by heavy wind please... i only have a drill driver, i dont have an impact drill. Any specific length on the screws that you would suggest?

I read that there is a tapcon screws, which you may not need an anchor - i bought one of those packs, and i tried to drill it into the same brick wall to hang a water hose hanger - but i wasnt able to drill it into the bricks at all.

so i am not sure what i am doing wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited by takkie; 04-27-15 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-15, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
Almost every item like that comes with installation instructions where they recommend mounting hardware based on mounting substrate.

Tapcons would not be the fastener of choice there. I would probably use lead anchors and galvanized lag bolts.

As far as bolting the bottom supports down..... I'm not sure what you have there will afford enough support to hold the canopy down in the wind.

Old 04-27-15, 10:31 AM
T
unfortunately, the instruction doesnt tell you anything about mounting it onto wall / floor. It has instruction on tell you how to build it, and then just say, "Check with building code to see how to mount it securely"

I did some reading, it looks like for heavy duty anchoring onto bricks, i should be using Sleeve Anchors. I think that is similar to lead anchors + lag bolts.

From different websites, sleeve anchors could be either Zinc or Stainless steel - any recommendation?

For attaching to the brick wall, i am unsure of what size and length i should buy them for. I am looking at 5/8 x 3inches. Do you think that is more than enough, or i should get a shorter one?

For bolting the bottom support down onto pavers, will it have enough support if i just use sleeve anchor also and bolt it onto the brick pavers?

Old 04-27-15, 02:44 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Tapcons

i bought one of those packs, and i tried to drill it into the same brick wall to hang a water hose hanger - but i wasnt able to drill it into the bricks at all.
Tapcons require a pilot hole. Read the instructions on the package for the correct size masonry bit. Drilling into the mortar joint usually works best.

Old 04-28-15, 08:17 AM
T
understood.

i am debating if i should just get a box of Lag Sheild Bolts + Lead Anchors and use it for all the columns post mounted to the pavers. Or, i should use Sleeve Anchor for them.

The length i am planning on getting is 1/2 inches width x 3 inches long.

Any suggestions please.

Old 04-28-15, 09:25 AM
M
I'd be afraid that lead anchors would crack the pavers. I would definitely consider using some type of an epoxy anchoring system for anchoring to them and maybe even into the house. They hold even stronger than expansion anchors and have the added benefit of not creating the same amount of force that expansion anchors to on the surrounding materials.

Old 04-28-15, 10:45 AM
T
the 2 columns closer to the house - will be anchored onto the floor, and it also have 2 angle bracket on the poll itself, which will be anchored onto the house.

column 1 and 2 (Closer to the house) -> onto floor, onto house
column 3 and 4 (furthest to the house) -> onto floor only.

I need to use some type of anchor system for column #3 and column #4.

Old 04-30-15, 07:53 PM
What's holding the pavers down? Are they cemented in concrete or just laying in sand or some other loose material?