Architecture style?

Old 04-28-15, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Architecture style?

I'm not sure where to put this, but in order to start some exterior diy projects, hoping to keep the house true to style, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what architecture style this is? If it is a particular style? I only know that it was built between the late 1940's to mid 50's. It is roughly 1200sq ft, 2 stories (it does have a basement) with the 2nd floor being two rooms connected, with very sloped ceilings. Any ideas? Thanks!
Name:  house.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  51.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-15, 05:54 PM
With the Gable End towards the street, you would call it a Craftsman, or a Bungalow. If the longer side were facing the street, with a Center Entry, and the gables towards your neighbors, we'd call it a Cape Cod.

Millions of those homes were built under the GI Bill following WWII, and more under the Farmers Home Loan Administration, where the size limitation was something like 1100 SF.

Old 04-28-15, 06:34 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
There just is no "style" for that home.
Do what every floats your boat.

Old 04-28-15, 06:38 PM
To add to what Vermont wrote, your house looks to be the typical post war home. I've also seen them labelled as 1 1/2 storey homes. If you google "cmhc post war home" you might find some articles that will help you. (I live in Canada; cmhc = Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation.)

Your post caught my eye because my house is built in 1942; I've done some thinking on the architecture myself as I've worked on my house.