Filling mortar in corner brink joint

Old 05-02-15, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Filling mortar in corner brink joint

We recently bought a house here in the DFW area, and I've been doing some looking around at the various imperfections on the exterior that need correction. On the front of the house I've got a corner where the bricks meet at an edge that is mortar all the way from top to bottom.
Name:  Edge1.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  38.7 KB

The mortar is crumbling and falling out, and I'd like to fill it in.

Here's an up-close shot. The gap is about a half inch, and it looks like the void space goes back about two inches.
Name:  Edge_Close.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  50.6 KB

How do i go about filling this in. I've never done any kind of brickwork/masonry, so I'm a complete noob in that regard.

I've read a little on tuckpointing/repointing, but all the examples seem to focus on your basic vertical brick wall mortar joints.
Should I be using backer rod here? Should I use the the typical mortar mix with pointing trowel? Or are there specialized tools for this particular application.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-15, 08:42 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd clean out the old mortar and use a waterproof concrete filler/sealant deep in the cracks. If you want the grout to look concrete, then leave about a 1/2" below the face and trowel in some quick set mortar.

Old 05-02-15, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 177 Posts
Yeah... either chip the old mortar completely out with a cold chisel or if that could loosen the bricks use a grinder and diamond wheel instead. No backer rod- you would only use that if you plan to caulk the joint. I'd just use a bag of regular redi-mix mortar mix and tuck point it. (be sure you don't add to much water as you go to mix it up or it will result in a weak mixture that will just crumble. It should just be wet enough to form a ball in your hand with a little packing.) Brush on some bonding agent (a milky substance you can paint on with a brush or spray into the crack with a garden sprayer) into the crack to clean and prime the ends of the bricks.

If either side is unstable... like the whole right section of brick moves when you push on it... then you should probably use an expansion joint sealant rather than mortar. That right side looks higher... like maybe it has heaved due to frost. If that's the case you should find out why it's doing that. For instance if they set the bricks on a sidewalk instead of on a real footing that is below frost, that might happen. Or if a concrete pad or sidewalk doesn't have enough expansion joint, it could be catching the brick and lifting it. Brick should never go anywhere due to frost if it's been done correctly.

Old 05-09-15, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
typically we treat this joint as a brick expansion joint,,, we run a 1/2" dri-diamond blade thru the jnt, install closed cell backer rod, then seal w/non-sag jnt sealant,,, sealant to be properly 'tooled' & installed @ proper depth:width ratio sika even has colored sealant however you'll only find grey at the apron/vest stores