Efflorescence Removal from Patio Stones

Old 05-03-15, 10:03 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Efflorescence Removal from Patio Stones

Hi - I installed a large patio last summer, and it survived the NE winter. When I put the stones down, a lot of them had efflorescence on them. The stone guy where I bought them told me it would go away, but if not, get an efflorescence cleaner next spring (which is now).

I went to the hardware store and bought a product (I won't mention the name because I'm not sure I can in this forum), but the word "Etch" was part of the label name. Got me a bit worried ($3000 in materials, didn't want to mess it up), so I called the stone manufacturer, who told me the product was good.

I have followed the simple directions, but the stuff isn't budging really at all. Can anyone recommend a product of technique as to how to get this stuff off? We are thinking about applying a matte-/gloss-finish sealer, but certainly can't until this stuff is removed.

I'll post pics if necessary.

Thanks - Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-15, 06:38 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generally speaking i would just wait for problem to take care of itself.Efflourence is due to moisture moving through stone which exerts out as salt deposit.As year goes on it will decrease.I personally do not like to put sealant on the stone b'cz if they are not vapor permeable than moisture gets trapped in the stone causing flaking.

Old 05-05-15, 03:15 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
check w/prosoco - they have products what will resolve your problem,,, you won't find anything good @ apron/vest stores &, unfortunately, when 1 searches the web, having little knowledge of issues usually results in finding less suitable materials 'cause 1 generally doesn't have enough knowledge to know where to look,,, meld in all the w/sites are bought & pd for by the product's sellers = un-pro results

ps - there ARE breathable sealers but stone's usually never sealed as it needs to breathe more