ID this "smooth split-face" cinder block

Old 05-07-15, 06:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ID this "smooth split-face" cinder block

My 1917 house uses this block for the foundation. I'm looking to fill a doorway that cuts three blocks deep and would like to match the block, but I haven't been able to find it.

As you can see from the photo, it has some shape to it, almost like a split-face block, but the surface is smoother and the "elevation" of the face is greater. Does anyone know the common name for a block like this? Thank you!

Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 911
Size:  42.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-07-15 at 07:59 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-15, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
Looks like a particular style of split face block.
Since you need to find it locally, I'd take that picture to a nearby stone yard.

Old 05-07-15, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Another option is to make your own. Judicious use of a sand blaster with a fan nozzle on a conventional concrete block (after filling the cavities with well-consolidated concrete or mortar) should be able to produce something very similar.

Old 05-08-15, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Check with your local block supplier [not a big box] to see what they have available [might not be a perfect match]

Old 05-08-15, 09:25 AM
M
By any chance could you make a mold from one of the ones in the existing wall? If you have a mold it wouldn't be hard to make a few for your project.

Old 05-08-15, 10:38 AM
That is not a spit face block, but is an old style that has not been made since the 1920's or 1930's except is some remote areas. They are highly valued and difficult to find ($$$$).

Your best place to find one is in an old shed or a home being remodeled near you. - They are not all alike, pattern-wise. Some of the older ones are about 6" high and 18" long and very heavy, so get the outer dimensions before your search of your local area. Southern MI might be a good place to look especially if you go to Alpena, where most of the manufacturing equipment and molds were made. The company there still makes molds and parts for block plants in about 100 countries (they do not make block).

Dick

Old 05-08-15, 11:37 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There are a lot of structures in my area that used these and we always called them rock face block.

This place may be able to help you.

Historic Rock Face Block
historicrockfaceblock.com
Do you own a vintage home or restoring a historic land mark constructed with Rock Faced Concrete Block? Well you have come to the right place.

Making your own mold is an option but the issue becomes matching the aggregate and weathering of the originals, not the easiest thing to do. Finding some at a salvage yard or demo site would be best but you do have to be careful as concrete masonry suggested.