ID this "smooth split-face" cinder block

Old 05-07-15, 06:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ID this "smooth split-face" cinder block

My 1917 house uses this block for the foundation. I'm looking to fill a doorway that cuts three blocks deep and would like to match the block, but I haven't been able to find it.

As you can see from the photo, it has some shape to it, almost like a split-face block, but the surface is smoother and the "elevation" of the face is greater. Does anyone know the common name for a block like this? Thank you!

Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  42.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-07-15 at 07:59 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 05-07-15, 08:05 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,091
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
Looks like a particular style of split face block.
Since you need to find it locally, I'd take that picture to a nearby stone yard.
Old 05-07-15, 08:28 PM
BridgeMan45's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,838
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Another option is to make your own. Judicious use of a sand blaster with a fan nozzle on a conventional concrete block (after filling the cavities with well-consolidated concrete or mortar) should be able to produce something very similar.
Old 05-08-15, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,681
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Check with your local block supplier [not a big box] to see what they have available [might not be a perfect match]
Old 05-08-15, 09:25 AM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 514
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
By any chance could you make a mold from one of the ones in the existing wall? If you have a mold it wouldn't be hard to make a few for your project.
Old 05-08-15, 10:38 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,650
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That is not a spit face block, but is an old style that has not been made since the 1920's or 1930's except is some remote areas. They are highly valued and difficult to find ($$$$).

Your best place to find one is in an old shed or a home being remodeled near you. - They are not all alike, pattern-wise. Some of the older ones are about 6" high and 18" long and very heavy, so get the outer dimensions before your search of your local area. Southern MI might be a good place to look especially if you go to Alpena, where most of the manufacturing equipment and molds were made. The company there still makes molds and parts for block plants in about 100 countries (they do not make block).

Old 05-08-15, 11:37 AM
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: usa
Posts: 389
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are a lot of structures in my area that used these and we always called them rock face block.

This place may be able to help you.

Historic Rock Face Block
Do you own a vintage home or restoring a historic land mark constructed with Rock Faced Concrete Block? Well you have come to the right place.

Making your own mold is an option but the issue becomes matching the aggregate and weathering of the originals, not the easiest thing to do. Finding some at a salvage yard or demo site would be best but you do have to be careful as concrete masonry suggested.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: