best non silicone masonry caulk

Old 05-09-15, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
best non silicone masonry caulk

I need to caulk outside our windows where the frame meets block. I want to avoid silicone products since I've read they are so difficult to remove when it's time to redo the caulk. Which caulk would you recommend? This is in NYC btw in cold climate.

Also, I have a golf ball size hole in my brick exterior wall from a satellite cable that was previously installed. I sprayed some great stuff foam in it. Do you want the foam flush with the block or protruding a bit? I trimmed too much I think and it's not even flush, it's inset about half an inch. Should I apply a second spray, and how soon can you do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-15, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Although it is not latex based as you wish, OSI Quad Max will seal the crack and you won't have to go back every 5 years to pull it out. The golf ball size hole can be plugged with hydraulic cement. Not that it matter, now, but OSI Quad Max can be applied frozen, so once it is on the job, weather won't have much to say about it.

Old 05-10-15, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Any caulk that is worth its salt should be difficult to remove. Personally I would use either BASF NP1 or Tremco Dymonic FC. These aren't the type of sealants you will find at Home Depot. If you want a sealant that is stocked at a box store, Vulkem would probably be your best bet if you want something that's "easy" to remove as it stays pretty soft even as it ages. Quad Max will adhere very well but will also be one that is difficult to remove.

Old 05-11-15, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well if I go with one that's difficult to remove, is there anything wrong with using GE II 100% silicone for this? I've had great success with that on kitchen/bath applications.

Also, for future projects when I would want acrylic, what is a good brand? I'm seeing a lot of acrylic caulks that now have silicone mixed in. I'd want acrylic only.

Old 05-11-15, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
A siliconized acrylic latex caulk will out preform regular latex caulk! It is not the same as pure GE silicone and is paintable. I'm partial to the 'white lightning' brand.

Old 05-11-15, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Pure silicone will deteriorate in sunlight, too, FYI. Go with the suggestions so far.