Brick Laying order for joining wall (T-Junction)

Old 05-11-15, 01:41 AM
Brick Laying order for joining wall (T-Junction)

Hello,

Please see the plan attached

Name:  plan.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  10.1 KB

This will be my first course of bricks. However, I am little lost as to how to continue to build, layer by layer. There will be 9 courses overall.

The part I'm concerned about it where the middle wall meets the back wall. How can I ensure that I retain strenth of the join if I can not overlap bricks each time. I hope this makes sense.

For example this would be my second course :

Name:  plan2.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  10.9 KB

So as you can see there is now a part at the top of this plan where the half brick does not overlap and I assume will be an area of weekness. As I continue to add courses it could become more and more unstable, if I have joins that meet over and over.

It's for an external garden wall, not too high. So it's not critical if it's not the strongest of structures but I'd sooner do it correct. Is there a good method for accomplishing this type of design effectively? I've tried searching google but haven't found anything. Is there a term for this T-Junction type shape?

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-15, 02:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Are you using "bricks", or concrete blocks? Bricks are mainly used as a veneer on houses, and may not give the stability you need. If you are using blocks, then your first row can look like your first diagram, and your second row like the bottom diagram, alternating as you go up. That will give you the tie you need.

Old 05-11-15, 04:23 AM
Thanks for your reply Chandler, I appreciate it.

I am using bricks as an asthetic choice more than anything as the houses in the neighbourhood all use the same red brick.

I understand your suggest to just alternate between diagram 1 and 2, but that will leave this week area :

Name:  plan3.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  10.8 KB

I could then put a brick over this section to stop this reoccuring gap, however that would lead to another week point, on the other side. And so the conundrum continues...

Old 05-11-15, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe alternating half bricks in every third row will help.

Name:  brick.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  15.0 KB