Sitting wall on top of concrete patio

Old 05-12-15, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sitting wall on top of concrete patio

I had a concrete patio poured recently with the intent of putting a sitting wall around the border of it. I had two separate contractors for the work, one for the concrete and one for the sitting wall. The wall builder wanted to build right on top of the patio so he called for the perimeter of the patio be be dug out deeper, but only about 6 or 8 inches or so. I've done some reading that says the footers should be below the frost line which is 48" where I live, but we're no where near that. It's a floating concrete patio and not attached to any structures. Am I asking for trouble by putting a wall on this patio? The wall is going to be cinder block with stone veneer and caps and I'm thinking of doing this part myself if it's ok to actually build on this. Would I need to secure the cinder blocks to the patio with more than just mortar?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-15, 09:14 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Will any part of this structure be attached to the house at any time. roof or walls?

Before you invest that much time and effort it would be good to talk to your local code office to see what they might require. Built wrong it becomes the proverbial lead weight around the neck of your investment. Building permits are public records and anyone at any time could check to see if your work was permitted.

BTW, how high is this proposed wall?

Bud

Old 05-12-15, 09:20 AM
It will not be attached to any part of the house and is freestanding, so no permits were needed per the county engineer.

The wall will be 18" roughly with the ends probably 26"

Old 05-14-15, 08:11 PM
Don't be surprised if the patio concrete starts showing stress cracks, from the weight of your sitting wall. Especially if you haven't called for reinforcement steel in the slab to withstand the additional loading.