Settling behind block retaining wall

Old 05-13-15, 05:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Settling behind block retaining wall

I have a 4' tall interlocking block retaining wall in my yard that is about 3 years old. It's situated on a steeply sloped part of the yard so as to provide a flat area for a jungle gym, picnic table, etc. Since I've owned the house (about 2 years now) I've noticed that the back-filled area behind and above the wall has been consistently settling or is being washed away. Is this type of settling/erosion something I need to be concerned with and correct? If so, what is the recommended course of action to correct it? Do I simply need to add more back-fill or is the solution more complex than that. The wall was installed prior to me buying the house so some of the installation details are unknown to me. I do know that a perforated corrugated pipe drain was installed behind it since I can see where it exits on one end of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-15, 05:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How is the wall itself doing? Settling of any fill dirt is expected. If everything else is fine adding more dirt would be all you need to do. Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-13-15, 05:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The wall itself looks to be fine...it doesn't appear to be sinking or leaning at all. I attached a couple of pictures. Hopefully they give a sense of the settling/eroding I'm talking about. It's to the point where there looks like vertical channels that run all the way down the backside of the wall. Also, the cavities behind the blocks aren't filled. Should they be?
Name:  20150513_194024.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  38.7 KB
Name:  20150513_194212.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  43.6 KB
Name:  20150513_194146.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  46.5 KB

Old 05-14-15, 03:08 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That looks like a joy to mow !

Are the steps in the background on your property ?

Is the black plastic pipe behind the wall perforated ?

Do you have a sketch of how the pipe is laid out underground ?

It looks recent enough that the installers are still in the area (and in business).