Headstone repair

Old 05-13-15, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Headstone repair

I am going to clean and repair a 175 year old white marble headstone that is broken in the middle and has been lying on the ground for at least 30 years.

The break is ragged and there seem to be small areas missing. I'm looking for a product that will reliably bond the broken segments and fill in any voids with a reasonable match to the marble. I also want to bed the stone to the base with some sort of mortar. I will also install rebar from the base as additional support.

Any recommended products?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-15, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Loctite offers a product that may work for you. The only downfall is it states for interior use.
It would seem that it should be ok outside too.

Loctite 10 fl.-oz. PL530 Mirror, Marble and Granite Adhesive-1693636 - The Home Depot

Old 05-13-15, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I used that same caulk on my wife's grandparent's headstone to glue little planter boxes back on. Because it's listed for interior only I also caulked the perimeter with clear silicone. That was 2-3 yrs ago and it's still firmly attached.

I don't know how difficult [or if it's feasible] but if you could drill both pieces and glue in some rebar that should make for a stronger repair.

Old 05-13-15, 12:13 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
A friend worked for awhile for our local town cemetery maintenance group and they had the task of gluing broken headstones back together. As I recall he used a two part epoxy, but it wasn't something that would match a marble headstone. If there is a cemetery maintenance group for the one you are repairing or nearby I would suggest talking with them as I'm sure they have a specific product for this job. Also, any monument business should be able to help.

Be sure the work you plan to do, if at an existing cemetery, is approved.

Bud

Old 05-13-15, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
I know it's marble, but wouldn't the same epoxy they use for granite counter top joints work? Don't they even custom color match that?

Old 05-14-15, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would call this company. They have some products that I have used for adhering stone to stone. Probably can be tinted but even if not, the glue line is insignificant.

Abatron Building and Restoration Products - Adhesives ...
Abatron Building and Restoration Products - Adhesives, Sealants, Coatings & Epoxies. - Abatron, Inc.
Abatron Building and Restoration Products - Adhesives, Sealants, Coating, Epoxies are used in architectural, industrial, electronic and marine applications.
Dealer Locator
Product Selection Guide
Shop Online
Concrete Maintenance
Contact Us
Abocrete

I believe, if you search a little, you will find articles about this in publications from either the "National Park Service" or Dept. Of The Interior".

Old 05-14-15, 07:22 PM
I know it's a different medium, but here's my experience with Abatron's construction adhesives. About 20+ years ago, as a working stiff for the NM DOT, I specified Abatron's WoodEpox to repair damaged glulam beams on seven pedestrian bridges we had inherited from the City of Albuquerque. They hadn't done any maintenance on the bridges for almost 20 years, and it showed--lots of delamination and open voids. Anyway, the WoodEpox worked extremely well, filling the voids and remaining bonded in place for many years afterwords. We used a different product (low-modulus epoxy injection) to glue dozens of delaminations back together. The WoodEpox was pricey then ($100 a gallon or so), and I see it's gone up to $165 now. Still well worth it, in my opinion, if they have a similar product for stone.

Old 05-17-15, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I think the ABOTRON products are just what I am looking for. I'm waiting for a reply from the manufacturer to see if ABOWELD 55-1 is suitable.

$163 a gallon - it must be good stuff right?

Old 05-17-15, 02:02 PM
$163 a gallon - it must be good stuff right?
They certainly must think so anyway!

Old 05-17-15, 04:24 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
At a $1.25 per ounce it is actually less expensive than many of the small store little bottles of glue. I wonder what its shelf life is or best way to store it?

Bud

Old 05-17-15, 06:55 PM
I don't think the Aboweld 55-1 is the correct product for your headstone repair. Reason being it's a non-sag paste, probably too viscous to make an effective headstone repair. A talk with their technical reps should be able to come up with the most appropriate product to use.