Filling holes in Cinder block

Old 05-16-15, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling holes in Cinder block

We recently has a crew take down a cinder block wall to install a gate and the guys use the block from the wall to raise a back cinder block wall one course. After they finished I noticed that they didnt fill the cells in the cinder blocks they used for the new course. I dont want them back because they were a nightmare. What would be the best course of action to fill the cells? I have heard that sometimes masons will fill the cells with paper and then mortar the top to save using a ton mortar. Since I just want to seal them up so they don't become birdsnests or insect breeding grounds would that be an ok thing to do? Also what would be the best roduct to use to fill the cells?
Thanks

Last edited by skon1212; 05-16-15 at 12:29 PM. Reason: errors in terms
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-15, 01:35 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Why fill them and not just cap the wall with solid 2" thick block with mortar to attach.

Old 05-16-15, 02:54 PM
I thought about that but none of the rest of the wall have the caps. Also the cost makes it a little prohibative right now.

Old 05-16-15, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What did they do with the broken pieces of the wall they took down? You could drop them in the hole and fill the cavity with mortar. You are only talking one course, right??

Old 05-16-15, 03:27 PM
I still have a lot of it and just realized I could use alot of it to fill the cells like you said. Dont know if there is enough to do all of them but should be close. Could I just use pre mix concrete instead of mortar? Seem to be cheaper.

Old 05-16-15, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Probably not since all you want is a fine finish on top. If you fill the cavities up, the mortar should seek its way down and not shrink once you fill the holes to capacity. Cheaper, as in how much? Is it a deal breaker? $1 a bag difference.

Old 05-16-15, 04:48 PM
Yes you can use concrete.

Old 05-16-15, 05:01 PM
Its a 7 foot high wall so no one can see the top. I just want to keep stuff and mostly water out of the cells. Its about a $2 a bag difference and I have about 20 or so cells to fill.

Old 05-16-15, 05:17 PM
If you don't care much about aesthetics and your primary motivation is cost you could get a roll of roofing membrane and use that to cap it off.