Exterior crack in foundation - patch or call a pro?

Old 05-16-15, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior crack in foundation - patch or call a pro?

Hi all,

Just bought a 35 year old house up in New England. Had home inspection, moved in January right before a really brutal winter.

Snow and ice melted and I found this crack while working under my deck. It's about 1/8" wide and I can fit a toothpick into it at its deepest point. It's slightly obscured by the trellis, but I believe it is new since checking under the deck was part of the inspection and it wasn't noted.

I've also been told it may be at a "cold joint"? It's location is where an original foundation (basement) meets a slab foundation for an addition that was built a few years after the home. So I cannot see other side of wall.

I have zero experience with foundation crack repair. Wondering if this one is something to just patch with hydraulic cement or one of those epoxy/urethane kits and then monitor, or if I should call in a pro based on crack size, location?

I had also debated calling a structural engineer, because there is a small river at the back of the property, and I noticed some other signs that may be settling (lots of nail pops, some drywall tape seams etc) although maybe that is just cosmetic from the extreme cold this winter?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-15, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
Is any part of that fence bolted to the foundation?

Old 05-16-15, 04:11 PM
You might try to first determine what's causing the crack before fixing it. Once the cause has been mitigated, then proceed with repairs. It looks serious enough to me to use either low-modulus epoxy injection or polyurethane injection to glue the adjacent concrete surfaces back together, which will effectively seal things up at the same time. Additional cracking is likely, following any repairs, if the cause isn't dealt with first.

Old 05-16-15, 06:15 PM
Yeah, that's the plan right now. I'm trying to figure out how to go about that, be it to hire either a structural engineer or a foundation company.

The trellis isn't bolted to the concrete.

My guess right now is some sort of moisture or maybe even frost heave?