refinishing blotchy concrete

Old 05-19-15, 01:02 PM
refinishing blotchy concrete

The house I just moved into has a lot of white spots all over the concrete. I want to stain the whole slab to get it looking fresh and nice. I had a couple contractors come out to help me resolve the issue.

One of them said a stain would work no problem, get it covered right up and looking nice.

The other said, no way that even after staining after a while its still going to continue to bleed through. Probably forever, because the concrete wasn't laid properly. He said the best bet is an epoxy with a nice sealant. Even then there is no guarantee, but it has a better chance of working.

Who is correct? Does anyone have any other advice on what I can do?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-15, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd work at removing the old sealant and then resealing. I think xylene dissolves most of those type of sealers. Fresher minds should be along later to confirm ....... or set us both straight

Old 05-19-15, 02:51 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would modify marksr's idea. Remove the old sealer with a pressure washer & never seal it again.

Old 05-19-15, 03:15 PM
so doing any kind of stain or paint on it is a bad idea? Is all the white the efflorescence that is trapped under the sealant? I'm guessing that because of the way it was mixed that I will be getting so much more efflorescence that it will just come back if I power wash and re-seal?

Old 05-19-15, 05:26 PM
I would power wash. Wait until its good and dry then use something like Drylock Wetlook.

Old 05-19-15, 09:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't recommend any sealer. There is no end to it.