Acid vs water based patio stain - which one should I go with?

Old 05-25-15, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acid vs water based patio stain - which one should I go with?

We have a ~600 sq/ft cement patio + cement steps into the house. Along with doing a stone veneer around the foundation and a cedar gazebo (Costco special), we want to stain the concrete.

My problem, even after doing research, is deciding between acid and water based stains. We want to do a color like the one below, as our siding is similar in color:

I realize prep is the key. I will be doing a thorough power wash, followed by an acid scrub followed by another power wash...it WILL be clean when it is done (I've already power washed the worst of it). Concrete was poured either in late '03 or early '04 and is in pretty decent condition overall.

I intend to do the pump sprayer method to achieve that swirled look. So should I go acid or water based, any why?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-15, 12:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Acid stains react with the concrete to make the different colors. I'm not well versed in that type of stains but I think there is a difference on how it works on old versus new concrete. The only water based concrete stains I'm familiar with are basically just a pigmented stain that gives the concrete a uniform color.