concrete around pergola help

Old 05-29-15, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
concrete around pergola help

Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster that just found this website when I was searching for information. My wife and I are planning on purchasing a Steel Pergola with canopy from home depot that we want to put in the backyard. Our yard is not too big and the plan is not to stay in this house for too long (our first home), maybe around 5 years or so, so we don't want to spend too much money to build an actual patio or pergola. We live in Rancho Cucamonga in Southern California and our area gets pretty windy certain times of year. It's usually around 20 or so mph but has gone up to 40-50 mph and gusts up to 60-70 mph. I want to make sure that the pergola we are getting will be secure, the canopy can get pushed back so we plan on having it pushed back or even take it off when we are not using it or when it's about to get windy. I wanted to put concrete around the posts (they come straight down) up to say, 36-48 inches and then buy faux stone panels to put around the concrete (my backyard has a concrete slab and grass area, this will go on the concrete slab). My question is as follows:

1.) am I ok with just setting the concrete around the post (that would take care of the wind issue) or would it be better to drill holes into the concrete and put rebar down and then put the concrete. Would it matter either way or is there any other way that is recommended or can be suggested that will make it look nice? Should I forget the concrete and just use anchors to bolt it to the concrete?

2.) All the concrete form tubes that I found are round, do they have square ones available as well or what would I be able to use for this?

3.) I have read about wood rotting due to water when it's in concrete or wrapped in concrete. The website states that the pergola has a aluminum and steel/metal design. Would I have any concerns about rot or any other issues wrapping the post in concrete (again, up to 36-48 inches).

Any other suggestions or recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've done a few DIY stuff around the house but this would be my first getting into concrete and what not. . Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-15, 06:09 PM
You would be much better connecting the concrete you're going to put around the posts to the slab beneath them, that would make everything much more stable. No they do not make form tubes in any shape except around. It certainly should be pretty easy however to build up some square boxes out of plywood and a few 2x4s. If the posts are plain steel you may have some concerns about rusting but if they are powder coated etc. it shouldn't be a problem, also if they are aluminum it wouldn't be a problem. To be safe you could always wrap them with tarpaper or heavy plastic prior to pouring the concrete against them, that would keep the concrete from being in direct contact.

Old 05-29-15, 06:34 PM
agreed that if you want square/rectangular forms, build your own out of wood. Also make sure to slope the top surface of the concrete away from the posts to prevent pooling and you shouldn't have any corrosion problems on the outside.

If the posts are Aluminum then corrosion shouldn't be much of an issue, if they're steel, find out if they're galvanized, and if not it might be a good idea to paint them. Also make sure there aren't any open holes to the insides of the poles, and that the tops are capped to prevent water from filling up inside them, especially with the bottoms set in concrete (unless you want to get really fancy and build in seep holes to allow the post interiors to drain).

Setting re-bar down into the slab that's continuous into the post bases should add strength. I'd guess it'd be best to have the holes in the slab be larger than the re-bar and fill them with concrete before pouring the post bases so that the re-bar is then also completely anchored into the slab, but I don't really know much formally about concrete so I'd recommend you verify that idea with someone who really knows that part of the business before acting on my thought is this regard.

Old 05-29-15, 07:21 PM
Actually your best bet would be to epoxy the rebar into the existing slab. They make special epoxy for doing this.