Source of water in basement?

Old 05-30-15, 04:05 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Source of water in basement?

After an abnormal amount of rain, noticed a bit of water in my unfinished basement. We noticed that the landscape is sloped toward, instead of away from the house. Decided to dig and discovered this gap/hole. Does anyone know why this gap is there?

Old 05-30-15, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Does anyone know why this gap is there?
No and it shouldn't be there unless it's for the underground animals.

Old 05-30-15, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Very poor ledger pour, IMO. Probably where all the water is coming from. I'd seal it up possibly with hydraulic cement (I don't know how big the hole is). Was there no waterproofing on the walls before you began digging? I'd certainly try to excavate the lower levels and apply a waterproofing system to help keep the water at bay, along with proper landscaping.

Old 05-31-15, 11:05 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well this has become more troubling. Yesterday, a neighbor of mine came by to see what the big dig was all about and I pointed out the gap to him. He said that he noticed the same thing when his house was being built. He was going to ask about it, but figured it served some purpose. Then this morning, a home inspector friend of that I emailed the picture to said " wow! amazed it hasn't leaked before now"

Naturally, mother nature decided to rain on us yesterday after digging the hole, and on the same day, the painters were priming. After the rain, I noticed a few wet spots as seen in the photos below where the primer overspray on the floor did not dry due to water coming in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: