Do I need to put air holes in steel fire ring?

Old 06-17-15, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to put air holes in steel fire ring?

Those galvanized steel rings seem to be popping up everywhere. Online fire ring articles usually suggest some sort of air flow through holes, pipes, gaps in bricks, etc--but I couldn't find any advice on the pre-fab steel rings.
Should I bore air holes in the side to let air in to the fire? Does ring size factor in to whether side holes are needed?
I don't wish to raise the bottom up to let air in because then dirty ash washes out onto the pavers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-15, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I've seen rings with holes and without. Most rings are low enough that I don't see a huge benefit in having air holes but air holes won't hurt.

Old 06-18-15, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe height is the key. All the articles suggesting air feed are for fire pits assembled from bricks, blocks or cement and typically are taller than the simple steel rings I see everywhere that are about 18" high or less.

I've camped many times where the pit is 2 nested rings with gravel or cement poured in between and are usually pretty tall (probably for safety against tripping over it), with no air holes. They also seem to be harder to get a fire started.