Flagstone joining material?

Old 06-21-15, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flagstone joining material?

I am planning an outdoor patio. I'd like to do a brick outline and then fill it with level flagstone in a mosaic style. I have seen at Lowes they sell a polymeric jointing sand that you sweep into the gaps and then spray down with water, forming a bond to keep stones in place. My question is, is there anything like this that works for larger gaps between flagstone edges. Like 2" gaps? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-15, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes, its called 'mason's sand',,, i've found 1 of the big reasons apron/vest stores sell polymeric sand is diy'ers will buy it we don't use it unless our client requests it ( usually they're much smarter than we are because they've 'investigated' the process via the internet thru/on their laptop/smart phone ),,, we, of course, do it as our fathers & grandfathers did it & taught us,,, that lineage stretches back to the guys who built the pyramids

case in point - we have to replace a 4" driveway for a client,,, the hoa wants a diagram - fine by me - showing the joint pattern,,, they ALSO want a section view showing wire mesh location & rebar size - aci doesn't recommend ANY steel or mesh UNLESS there's 2" of conc 'cover - that's 2" above AND 2" below,,, impossible in a 4" thick slab,,, where do they think the mesh will be AFTER the jabonies finish trampling thru the mud ? certainly not where aci specs