Concrete Overlay Question ?

Old 06-21-15, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Overlay Question ?

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to find a flooring solution for my basement. My preferred choice is to refinish the existing slab, but there is an old layer of mastic and carpet adhesive that prevented me from moving forward. Almost every company I've discussed this with has advised me to grind down the slab to remove the adhesives, but I'm concerned about contamination. I know that it can be ground wet and vacuumed out, but it adds a lot to the price, and people have told me that there will be residue and dust. A company recently stated they could do this job without any grinding. They would simply clean the floor, and use a primer that can go over the existing adhesives. They would then use a Polyurea or Polyaspartic overlay that adhere to the primer.

The primer is called PerfectPrimer and it's marketed for this use ... So far everyone I've contacted hasn't heard of it, and they're very skeptical; as am I. Has anyone heard or used this stuff?? If so, do you think it would work given the condition of my slab? Thank you very much.

Here is the primer site: Specialty Solutions Manufacturing Inc

I have a call into them, but haven't heard back yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-15, 12:50 AM
concerned about contaminating what ? there are grinders that will fit down stairways & run on 110v which do a good job - wet OR dry. residue is only what's left AFTER you clean up - PRIOR to installing the next step,,, yes, there will be residue IF you do a lousy job of cleaning up - do a good job & there won't be any residue at all - pretty simple stuff, ain't it ?

good overlay materials chemically 'bond' to concrete,,, that's why we 'pickle' conc 1st then neutralize the acid - to bring the pH into the right range,,, once the base coat's down, everything else's a piece of cake,,, you could also use 'beaneedoo' or similar product such as 'elephant snot',,, while both accomplish the same goal, either is a LARGE pita to clean up

1 last point - IF you're trying to do this on the cheap, nothing will be satisfactory in terms of appearance OR permanence,,, these systems aren't cheap & not performing prep as required will lead to failure,,, knowing all this, howzabout an area rug from your local apron/vest store instead ?

Old 06-23-15, 06:23 PM
I appreciate the response. Everyone company I've spoken with has stated that grinding mastic and adhesive off the floor will create dust that is airborne no matter what equipment is used. If this were my garage, it wouldn't bother me, but I don't want airborne mastic in the basement. Believe me, this has nothing to do with being cheap, the solutions I'll use to encapsulate the floor with a waterproof material will far exceed that of grinding & overlays. Based upon your response, I assume you're saying that the primer is BS and will not provide an adequate surface for adhering the overlay? Just an FYI, using the primer is about the same cost as grinding, based upon the quotes I've received. Thanks

Old 06-24-15, 04:08 PM
horsepuckey ! that's because they all grind dry - grinding wet creates NO dust, just slurry,,, i did NOT say the primer is ' BS ' but only 'cause i hadn't thought of it