Fixing delaminating stained concrete micro-topping

Old 06-23-15, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing delaminating stained concrete micro-topping

I'm in the process of refinishing / staining / sealing my garage and have hit a roadblock. Hoping to get suggestions on a solution.

Over an 320 sq. ft. slab, I first coated my floor with a moisture vapor barrier epoxy (Kemiko 1600), followed by three thin layers of concrete micro-topping (Kemko Terra Fresco) and two coats of Kemiko acid stain. In between the epoxy and micro-topping and each subsequent layer of micro-topping, I put down a layer of Kemiko's TFL-1100 bonding agent.

I had let the floor sit for about two weeks as time didn't permit putting on the final sealer. Last night, I put down a light mist of water to test the final color and noticed two areas with raised air pockets. It appeared as if there were spots where the micro-topping didn't bond with the vapor barrier epoxy. I used a chisel to pull up the suspect areas but now I'm left with three holes (about 3" in diameter) in the concrete.

Does anyone have any experience fixing something like this? I'm resigned to the fact that the patches are going to be visible (hoping to camouflage them a bit with stain) but short of just reapplying the bonding agent and a new layer of micro-topping, is there something else I should try? The epoxy itself is very smooth. I've read online about using a low viscosity epoxy as a base and putting sand on top of that, letting it try to give the base coat some "teeth" to catch on to.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-15, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you forgot fine aggregate broadcast into the wet epoxy,,, do it again & do it right this time ;-) i've used kemiko once as it was spec'd & the arch wouldn't let us sub another stain,,, i don't know who they have make it