Best way to measure paver base

Old 06-28-15, 03:23 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to measure paver base

Hello,
I am edging an area with wall block. I am going to do an inch of Portland mix and .5" of sand. I currently have my trench dug down 5" all the way around. What is the best way to measure the first inch of Portland mix? I guess I could keep pouring the mix and tamping it down, then measuring to see the difference on the current level line. I am hoping there is an easier way. I was thinking of pressing grade stakes into the ground along the leveled area and adding the Portland mix until it hits the one inch mark, would that work? Please help me out! Thanks!

Old 06-28-15, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are to trying to use the concrete block lateral restraint of a paver patio or driveway?

Normally, steel, aluminum or flexible plastic 4" or 6" are used for edge restraint and installed either before or after the pavers are laid. The top of the strips are set at grade or slightly below and the grass covers the strips and spikes that are used for lateral restraint and paver stability. The spikes are driven slightly below grade.

You do need to the have the restraint installed before vibrating the pavers for strength and stability.

Dick

Old 06-29-15, 08:06 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It isn't pavers, it is wall block. I am using it to outline/edge an area to put a firepit in just a single layer. I am wondering what is the best way to measure the different layers of base. I am planning on an inch of Portland mix and a half inch of sand. My question is, what is the best way to measure the different base layers? My idea was to nail long nails into the dirt and mark them at 1" and 1.5" so that when I fill the leveled area up to the mark it will result in one inch of Portland cement and so on... does that make sense? Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: