Cinder Blocks For Very Short Wall

Old 06-12-15, 08:08 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cinder Blocks For Very Short Wall

I have flowerbeds and brick pathways along the sides of the house.

I have new neighbors (renting) next door and when their lawn guy mows and trims it all comes on my side. I happened to catch him the first time and ask him to blow the stuff on their grass. Now when he blows, all the crap goes into the beds and behind the trash/recycle area.

Can I put two rows of cinder block with top caps to make a very short wall without using concrete?

I looked into fencing but besides being costly I don't think that is the solution.

Old 06-12-15, 08:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Before installing a temporary block wall, you should have another talk to the lawn boy (make sure you speak in a language he understands). If that doesn't work, how about a discussion with the house's owner, the renter's landlord? Tell him/her you'll be perfectly happy to send the bill for each time you have to hire someone to clean up the mess his property's lawn boy leaves behind--and the guy you are considering comes with a $100 minimum rate.

Old 06-12-15, 09:10 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I agree with Bridgeman, time for talk. The owner of the property is the one who should be concerned about maintaining a friendly relationship with the neighbors. Renters are just renters and usually don't give a darn. Keep a record of date and details of your discussions as, if no one on the other side, owner or renter wishes to comply, then you will need a record of your honest attempts to avoid this problem.

It is unfortunate that neighbor issues frequently reach this point and it is really worth a good effort to find a workable solution for everyone, assuming you plan on living there for many years.

Bud

Old 06-15-15, 08:17 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
or just call immigration police the next time he's working there,,, then they'll have to find another lawn guy & you can practice your linguistics again

Old 07-01-15, 08:55 AM
P
You can, but depending on your environment, it may not hold up very well and you might be making adjustments to it to keep it level and true quite often. The cinder blocks and caps are pretty heavy and won't move a whole lot side to side. I think the bigger issue you'll have is if you don't have a proper base for them to rest on you'll get quite a bit of sinking and shifting over time.

Old 07-02-15, 10:11 AM
J
Well, I picked up 46 blocks and caps from Home Depot last week. Sealed them and painted them to match the curbing around beds and the brick walkway.

Between the 80 degree weather, bad back and bum knees it took about 4 mornings to get them all sealed, painted and laid out. (not bad for an 80 yr old lady)

I laid them on top of the brick walkway so the foundation is pretty solid, although it does cut down on the width of the walk I can still get the trash can and wheel barrow through. They are not quite plumb but when it gets cooler I will straighten them up better.

I'm happy to say they serve the purpose, the lawn guy was there yesterday and the bricks kept most of the heavy debris off my place.

Old 07-04-15, 10:42 AM
S
bless your heart !

Old 07-04-15, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
bless your heart !
I love Southerners. Might want to look that phrase up Stadry. Not quite as nice as it sounds sometimes. All about inflection and circumstance. I understand how you meant it though and I'm with you. Jo Ann...I dunno whether I would have done it that fast...at least not in the heat we're having.

Old 07-05-15, 04:00 PM
J
Time was a factor for getting it done. Getting two knee replacements and will be out of action for quite awhile.

Old 07-05-15, 04:22 PM
D
Time was a factor for getting it done. Getting two knee replacements and will be out of action for quite awhile.
Hah! Good idea to not beat up the new ones when you get them.

Old 07-05-15, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Jo Ann...Chandler had that done I believe...so he may be the resident expert. I had some repairs done to mine and it's a pretty tough row to hoe. My shoulder work was much easier.

Old 07-06-15, 08:55 AM
S
i didn't mean it in the new jersey translation

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: