Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Short term (2 yr?) concrete patio fix - need crack repair and stain suggestions

Old 07-05-15, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi gang. I need a recommendation for a quality crack repair product and a concrete stain for a short term patio fix.

I am redoing my patio area and the effort and expense to get the fireplace and BBQ stations right means I am going to delay doing the flooring this season. May be a year+ before I install bluestone as the new floor on the 640 SF patio at the money pit I just bought here. In the meantime, I would like to get it presentable for this Fall.

Can someone suggest a quality crack repair product for concrete patio. The one at the Big Box looks like crap. Is there anything there worth trying? In terms of professional grade stuff, my uncle suggested maybe ARDIFIX from ARDEX. Anyone have any suggestions? I do have an angle saw with a masonry blade to cut out, smooth the cracks.

Also I plan to do a solid stain/paint the concrete. Again...this is a short term fix. Any product I should look for? DeckOver and those things don't get very good reviews. So I can just do a quality solid stain. But Will it adhere to the crack repair or will I need to skim-coat a concrete dressing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-15, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 181 Posts
Will you be applying your blue stone over the concrete or will the concrete be demolished and removed? If you are going over the concrete I would not coat or seal it with anything as it can cause trouble with bonding in the future. How large is the crack you want to fill?

Old 07-05-15, 09:26 AM
thanks for the note, Dane.

good question. I am not sure how we will do the bluestone, or when. Or if it will even be bluestone. could be pavers or another application. I just want folks to know that I understand that crack repair is not generally very effective or permanent. and that I just want to kind of put some lipstick on the pig for a year or so, just so we can get some use out of it. if I had to guess....I think we would keep the slab since its not degrading horribly (these cracks are 20+ years in making) and just prep it up real good (clean/strip, fill cracks, rub it down)

there are various cracks ranging in length from a few inches to a few feet. most are only 1/16 inch of less in width.

In terms of not coating it, that means even with a stain? could I just strip the stain off later if I do decide to go right on top of the concrete

I really appreciate the input!

Old 07-06-15, 08:51 AM
same as in the other forum BUT don't seal as dane posts