Fire pit fire clay HELP!!!!!!

Old 07-06-15, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fire pit fire clay HELP!!!!!!

New to the forum just built a fire pit out of retaining wall bricks. Filled the fire pit hole with pea gravel and sand for drainage. I have everything done except for the For the fire clay and masonry cement for the inside of the pit. I want to use the fire clay because the retaining wall bricks are not high heat rated and I don't want them to crack and look like crap. I have metal mesh ring that I put in and I want to fill in between the mesh and the bricks with the mortar but I can't get the ratio right. I'm using masonry mix type S and ground fire clay. All my test ratios have failed it just crumbles when it cures. Should I use Portland cement instead of the masonry mix. I've tried 2 masonry to 1 fire clay, 3 to1, 5 to 1.

Please someone help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-15, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro in this forum but based on what I've done you should be using Portland cement and the fire clay..... no sand.

Also... the heat will still kill your retaining wall bricks unless you use some type of steel ring as a liner. I know people that have had a metal shop make one and some have even used truck rims. Firebrick is the only long term solution though.

Old 07-06-15, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I put in a steel fire grate ring in, I want to fill in the gap between the ring and brick with the mortar. The brick supplier down here supplied me with everything