Rock underpinning on concrete foundation

Old 07-10-15, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rock underpinning on concrete foundation

Hello, I am new to the forum and have no masonry training.

I have been wanting to attach rock to my house foundation to make it look good. The foundation is poured concrete. The concrete has never been painted. The question I have is can I use real rocks? I have access to plenty rocks. I can get creek rock. They are heavy and I worry that they will fall off my mortar. I also have access to loads of shale. The shale is really nice once cleaned up and is thin so it is not too heavy, but it is kinda brittle and breaks easily. Have any of you ever used real rock that you just picked up from the creek or off a cliff?

Do I need to do anything to my foundation to prepare it? I've heard lots of people say that a concrete foundation don't require any wire or mesh. Do I need a scratch coat?

These questions may sound silly as I have never done masonry work before. Although am quite handy.

Thanks for the help in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-15, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
in your case, i'd recommend a brick shelf - angle iron bolted to/thru the conc wall to support the weight of the selected rock,,, IF you use fake rock, you can nail on expanded wire mesh & mortar to it,,, 'free' will probably cost you more in the long run BUT that's just my thought