Need advice on building a firepit

Old 07-11-15, 10:33 AM
Need advice on building a firepit

Hi everyone! My name is Lisa and I am about to build a firepit in my backyard. I am looking for advice! My first question is; I have around my home what I think is lava stone, I plan to re-landscape soon so I will be getting rid of the lava stone in favor of beachstone. Is lava stone ok to use in firepits? I want to use it beneath the patio stones (thought it would help with leveling?) and in the bottom of the pit for drainage (thinking of making a smaller "sump" hole at the bottom). I will include pictures of the stone and would appreciate it if someone can verify that it is in fact lavastone and whether i can use it. I will attach a couple other photos as well as what i have so far so its easier for you guys to give suggestions. The patio stones have been down for a while now but i plan to move them and till the ground and remove a few inches of dirt then put them back..Thanks, I could really use some help here!

Name:  IMG_1723.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1725.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1726.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  45.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-15, 11:38 AM
Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum,

First question would be, does your town have permit requirements for the pit and for having a fire. In my remote country environment, Maine, I can no longer have an open fire without obtaining a fire permit which makes me liable for any fire department response, potentially thousands of dollars.

I can't contribute to identifying the stones.

It looks like you have a nice large lawn so your local fire inspector may have no problem, but best to check.

Bud

Old 07-11-15, 11:46 AM
Thanks, no input on how to construct the pit Bud? Could really use some suggestions...

Old 07-11-15, 11:55 AM
I've enjoyed many camping trips and especially enjoy3ed sitting around a nice fire. Here are some thoughts, assuming your town doesn't have a concern.

To keep a fire going it needs air. Many designs will include one or more vents to allow air in, and in some cases allow you to close them to control the fire. Here is a link with many pictures and you will see the raised approach with comfortable seating around them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=open...v31qthRRoEU%3D

Bud

Old 07-11-15, 12:11 PM
The first thing i did before posting here was a google search, i have looked over all those photos before but thanks anyways...anyone have any advice?? plans? any ideas based on what i already have (patio stones, steel rim, lava stones)...my backyard isn't fancy, not looking at constructing something that is going to cost hundreds of dollars..just something that is safe, has good air flow and will drain well after a rain..don't mind going out and buying some additional materials but was also hoping to use the materials i already have if possible..

Old 07-11-15, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
Any natural stone will work for around a fire but will eventually crack due to the heating and cooling of the fire. Lava rocks might be more so as they have many nooks and crannies for water to sit, which will increase the chance for the rocks burst. Rocks do not make a good base for the pavers. I also do not suggest putting any rocks in the bottom of the pit as they will just fill up with ash.

Basied on your picture, I would suggest either leaving your pavers, or if you want to remove the grass/make it bigger, dig them up and reset them on a 1" bed of sand. I suggest keeping the metal ring to protect the rocks and raise it up so it is a little higher then ground level. Place the lava rocks around the ring, between the ring and the pavers. If you want to tie it all together, and if you have enough rocks, you could put some of the lava rocks between the pavers.

Here is a picture of one I did at my house. The ring is raised rather then sunken, and I used pea rock, but the concept is similar.

Name:  FirePit.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 07-13-15, 12:52 PM
Thank you! thats the sort of input i was hoping for. I had been wondering about sand vs lavastone for a base and you answered the question for me. Thanks again and looking forward to more input !