Post concrete install question

Old 07-21-15, 12:52 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post concrete install question

Hello,

I am working on a pergola. I have already purchased the wood which is a long story you can check out on another thread in the decking section. I may have to install 2 more posts.

I have 2 10 foot posts I am thinking on putting in concrete to give some extra strength to 3 posts I already have installed. I am up in ND where I need to dig down ab out 4 feet. I would like to have my pergola and the post sitting around 8 feet out of the ground which means I can only sink it in 2 feet.

My question is do i need to go and buy new posts and eat the cost of these to get 12 footers or can i pour a 2 foot pad of sorts with some rebar sticking out of thie pad and then set the posts on this pad to pour the remaining 2 feet around the post to ground level? Thoughts?

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 07-21-15, 01:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
How about a concrete post anchor? Then the wood does not extend below ground. Better for the wood and you don't need to return the posts you've already got.

Old 07-21-15, 01:50 PM
O
Thanks for the response and agreed and why i did it the way I did with the existing 3 posts. exactly like your picture. My issue is that I have racking currently pushing it the one direction. Chandler was kindly assisting in some ideas over on that post to try and overcome this without having to pull out what i had. My last idea was to move one of the posts out so i had equal spacing between the 3 posts and put in a 2x10 joining them. That is where this post came in. I wanted to do it right this time if i do end up moving this post.

Link directly below this has a drawing of what I was thinking in what i mention above. Do you think that would fix the movement i am seeing in the posts?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...ml#post2440417

Initial post about trying to resolve the racking i was seeing with the posts. You can see a picture here of the current state. If you are curious.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...ml#post2439616

Old 07-21-15, 05:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Oh, yea. Spreading your project over three threads is very helpful.

Old 07-21-15, 05:43 PM
O
When you say threads you are meaning adding that 2x10 to join everything up together should help in the racking right?

For future use and curiosity, since i have to go down 4 feet can one pour 2 feet add some rebar waid the day for that to dry. Add the post and set it on the dried 2 feet and add the second 2 feet? would that work? I just know in some species here we have a hard time getting 12 feet without having to special order sometimes which one would need for it to come at best 8 feet out of the hole.

Old 07-22-15, 07:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
No, Dane is advising you to keep all of the questions regarding a project in one thread here on the website. I don't think I'm alone in saying I'm not as likely to answer your questions if I have to click multiple links to get all of the information.

You might be best abandoning what you have and starting over with one thread.

Does that make sense?

Old 07-22-15, 08:02 AM
O
Thanks for clarifying stickshift i didn't understand the sarcasm. I was told once to split questions between different topics and pertinent groups so i never know when to start a new question and when not to. So like in this case it had to do with concrete initially so tried to bring that question here. Going forward whichever group i ask the question first I will keep all questions there. Is that the correct way to do this?

Old 07-22-15, 08:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
There isn't a correct way but a rule of thumb based on your experience here is if you need to link to another thread to explain, you probably should have just used that thread.

We're all here volunteering, including you, so you just want to make it as easy as possible for people to answer your questions. Sometimes that's a new thread, sometimes it's the same one.

Old 07-22-15, 08:35 AM
O
Thanks for letting me know and in the future i will keep it all in one regardless if it crosses groups.

I think i have unintentionally shut the assistance off so to speak having split this up this way but I thank you for your time and helping clarify. I do appreciate the groups and assistance you guys provide.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: