Brick Expansion Joints?

Old 07-24-15, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick Expansion Joints?

We bought a house late last year, it has a brick face. I had casually noticed that a few joints had no mortar in them, figured it had just crumbled out or that somehow (???) the builders had missed a couple, and was going to mortar those joints. But today I checked things out more carefully, and I found that along the entire face, about a foot above ground level, there is no mortar in every third joint. This can't be a coincidence - must be to allow for expansion, is that correct? Why is this expansion joint only along the bottom of the brick face (one brick tall)? Shouldn't it run vertically up the entire face? Anyway, like I said, I was going to fill those joints with mortar, but now thinking that should not be done.

Also, are these expansion joints supposed to be completely open? Seems like they should be filled with some sort of flexible filler/caulking to still allow for expansion, but to also keep out water, etc. Help, please? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-15, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Seem like holes to drain water that has gotten in behind the brick to me.

Old 07-24-15, 03:08 PM
stickshift, looks like you are right. Apparently, they are weep holes to allow moisture out/air in. Now that I know what they are, I am finding plenty of info about them. Thanks for making that easy!

Old 07-26-15, 09:38 AM
sometimes there'll be plastic drains showing - other times wicking will stick out - many times you get nothing but holes - you got holes