Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Crepe or Stucco below grade on poured slab causing Efflorescence wicking up wall

Crepe or Stucco below grade on poured slab causing Efflorescence wicking up wall

Old 08-03-15, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, i have a 4 year old house and i have a paver walkway along the side of the house and basically the contractor gave me the house at grade and left me no room to add soil, etc even though i had no landscaping done and had to add tons of earth everywhere just to level out my land. Anyway my landscaper basically did a paver walkway with stone dust, crushed rock etc, but it came above the stucco the contractor painted on the wall for decor and now i have the dreaded salt stains wicking up the whole side of the house. They basically put stucco all the way to the raw dirt of backfill instead of leaving me 7-8 inches. My basement window is maybe a few inches above grade along this same wall. They wick up about less than foot from vertical from the pavers? Apparently its a common problem in the area and the builder said it was cosmetic and worse case it will break off. It isn't stucco over a wood frame so im not worried about rot, but if i cut a line right above the pavers to get the stucco off, would that allow the moisture to breath and not wick up anymore past that point?

Sorry for the length but nobody knows much and it took to figure out why i was getting in the first place as noone even understood the problem really.

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-15, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mike!

I've painted 100s of stucco houses where both the stucco and the paint went below the grade so I wouldn't think that would be the issue. Is there a basement? if so, how is the wall waterproofed below grade? Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-04-15, 01:48 AM
Well here are the pics. http://s179.photobucket.com/user/mik...e%20of%20house

Basically i got the house and the black waterproofer was basically a few inches above the backfill and then they put crepe(stucco type stuff) right above the waterproofer. So when the landscaper put stonedust,gravel etc the base for the walkway it came above the waterproofer and left the stucco type stuff below grade and i think it can't breathe. These pics were from last year after it was just done and fresh. This year the stains aren't as bad but it still does it. I know stone dust and such keeps and hold moisture and the stucco just sucks it in. The walkway drains away from the house if that matters. I have noticed other houses in the neighborhood where it just broke away(also had paver walkways) or they cut it and applied waterproofing tar stuff.

Old 08-04-15, 02:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
That is efflorescence which is caused by moisture passing thru masonry. Are you sure the stucco has been painted?

Old 08-04-15, 02:20 AM
It was bare slab for the first year in the house, (I got the house in December so winter time). They came back the following year to put what they call Finishing Crepe which is a type of sand based cement finish to make it look nicer so cosmetic. They put the same stuff on my concrete stairs as well(which delaminated and they came back and did it again, but it still didn't adhere that great and is an eye sore for the most part at times, but cosmetic.