Behr or QUIKRETE Concrete sealer for flaking steps?

Old 08-08-15, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Behr or QUIKRETE Concrete sealer for flaking steps?

My cement steps infront of my house are flaking. I am planning on sweeping/vacuuming them and then using:
BEHR | BEHR PREMIUM Concrete & Masonry Protector & Waterproofer, 3.79 L | Home Depot Canada or Quikrete | Acrylic Concrete Sealer 3.8L | Home Depot Canada Afterwards I plan to put on some stair tread to protect and add some grip.

I am curious if anyone has used either product and how they compare. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Context: I am in Calgary, Canada. I recently bought a house that was built in 1995. Previous owner may have salted steps?

Pics: Imgur Imgur Imgur Imgur Imgur Imgur

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-15, 02:31 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
I'm not a concrete expert but IMHO before putting on a water proofer or protector I would fill in those pits with something like TOP and Bond. Then do the protector. You can also use Thompson's. See what the experts have to say.

Old 08-08-15, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try filling them. No Top'n Bond at my HD, but we do have this which I will give a shot: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/quic...nt-45kg/958226. I'll consider Thompson's Waterseal | Thompson's Advanced Clear Multi-Surface | Home Depot Canada as my third option

Old 08-09-15, 12:40 PM
that'll work ok,,, far's conc sealer, IF i had to choose, i'd pick sher-wms for a better product - try H&C

Old 08-10-15, 05:25 AM
IF i had to choose, i'd pick sher-wms for a better product - try H&C
Just a side note...We use to carry H&C products but they did not sell. No one seemed to want them. Don't know if the price was too high or if the product did not perform to expectations.

Old 08-15-15, 06:54 PM
lemme expand on that answer,,, IF i had to choose & this forum was my go-to spot, i'd pick sher-wms,,, as i am not the avg poster seeking advice, i don't use it but seal w/eliteCrete's ' css ' instead (no $ interest),,, fortunately for decorative conc artisans, css isn't avail to unlicensed folk

pro mtls + tools + methods + knowledge + skills = pro results

Old 08-15-15, 07:00 PM
I understand! _________________________________