Garage floor coating

Old 08-11-15, 10:48 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage floor coating

Can someone recommend a two part epoxy coating for a concrete garage floor?
Is there any brand that I can mix half and use one day, let it dry, then mix the rest and apply another day?

Old 08-11-15, 11:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
All epoxies can be mixed all or in part. While the amount of paint and catalyst doesn't have to be perfectly proportioned - they do need to be close to the specified amount.

Old 08-11-15, 01:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I have always used solvent based epoxies and I've had good luck so I've not seen a need to try some of the newer water based ones. Whatever you choose make sure you read the instructions for and don't cut corners. Proper preparation and application are critical. Most epoxies will allow you to recoat after a certain time period usually based on temperature. Some paints require you to recoat within a certain window.

Old 08-11-15, 05:35 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a brand?

Old 08-12-15, 05:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
A couple that come to mind are RusOleum Commercial and U Coat It. Both make a variety of products so you'll have to choose the product best for your application.

My oldest floor is in the toy car garage and is the solvent based RusOleum Commercial epoxy. After 8 years it still looks brand new and has withstood hot car tires and sliding all sorts of stuff across it without a sign. It has the flakes which helps provide some traction though it's still moderately slippery when wet and it's matte finish conceals dust well. The biggest knock against it is that it does not have the mirror finish high gloss of the hangar. That was a commercially applied system and it looks incredible when clean but when standing back the high gloss really shows dust and dirt and OMG it turns into an ice rink if it gets wet.

Old 08-15-15, 06:31 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
for the widest selection of floor epoxies, head for a pro-oriented sher-wms store (no $ interest),,, ANY color you want is avail,,, we usually use 5's but just did a 950sf carport w/'armorseal 1000' - 1A:1B - no tolulene, xylene, acetone, etc,,, TERRIFIC stuff,,, 2 guys - 1day - incl taping wall/floor jnt AND applying a full-flake floor,,, rexthane sealer on top the next day - 2hrs

we've done hangars but used urethanes - next time we'll pick armorseal

pro mtls + tools + methods + knowledge + skills = pro results

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: