Patching holes in CMU

Old 08-14-15, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching holes in CMU

I am relocating my AC condenser line and my gas line from through my basement CMU wall (both above grade) to through the rim joist. Each line will leave a 2" hole through the CMU's. What is the best way to patch these holes? I assume I need some kind of backer? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-15, 05:34 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Add a temperery backer and pack it full of Hydrolic cement.
It sets up really fast so have your ducks in a row.

Old 08-14-15, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I guess my question is: what do I use as a temporary backer in a 2" hole? I plan to use hydraulic cement.

Old 08-14-15, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 180 Posts
Use anything you can get. Once you get the lines out you'll be able to see if the blocks are hollow or if they were filled. If they were filled it's much easier and you can shove a wadded newspaper or rag into the center and mortar or hydraulic cement on both sides. If the block is hollow it's more difficult but the idea is the same. You can just keep stuffing things in there until something stays to provide some backing.

Another thing I've done take a piece of scrap wood and drill a hole in the center and run a wire through the hole. Cut the wood long than the hole's size and make it's width smaller so you can push it through the hole while holding onto the wire. Then pull on the wire to position the wood as the backing over the hole. Wrap the wire around a stick or metal rod on the outside. Pack mortar into the space and after it cures cut the wire off flush with the surface.