Broken Bricks in Chimney - Patch-able?

Old 08-24-15, 11:22 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken Bricks in Chimney - Patch-able?

Hello all new member here.

I have just purchased a house and the chimney is in sad shape. I believe the images speak for themselves.
I have no prior masonry experience and my knowledge stems from youtube and other readings on the internet.

My understanding is after the cracks in the concrete top were created water got down into the bricks and froze causing the chips. I am pretty sure the chimney needs torn down a few layers and re-done.

My question is: Can I patch/waterseal this chimney to last one or two more years? I am putting a good chunk of work into other things the first year and was hoping to put this off until Spring 2017.
If so, would I simply rinse it off with a hose and then mortar over all of the cracked bricks and then put water sealant all over it? I would use clear silicone sealant for the cracks in the concrete top.

On Edit: I would like to add that the portion of the chimney within the attic and the base of the chimney in the basement show no signs of water damage, cracking or anything so I believe only the exposed portion outside needs attention.
Appreciate any insight.

Name:  2015_0813_152910.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  50.0 KB
Name:  2015_0813_152916.jpg
Views: 1461
Name:  2015_0813_152948.jpg
Views: 1004

Old 08-24-15, 11:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what your end game intent for the chimney is but applying stucco over the brick is certainly an option.

Old 08-24-15, 02:41 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Yes it looks lie spalling or even lightning may have caused the issue.
Reason I suggested lightning is how far away the bits of brick are away from the chimney.
The reason for the spalling the crown was done wrong, there's no over hang.
Also that flashing looks way off, done wrong there's likely some roof damage.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chim...wf8HTh61sRM%3A

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: