Footing for the front stoop

Old 09-01-15, 08:08 AM
Footing for the front stoop

I would like to pour my concrete stoop for the front porch. It will need footings below the frost depth(i am in MN).

However, there was a mistake made when the foundation was dug up and now there is no "virgin soil" for atleast a few feet in that area(it has been backfilled).

To get to the virgin soil, the footing will have to be 6 feet or so deep, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Are there any alternatives to digging this deep and building a 6 foot wall?

FYI, the porch will be 17' x 5'. It will have walls on 3 sides.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-15, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
What was the area backfilled with and how long ago?

Old 09-01-15, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
My inspectors would want the footer excavated to below frost depth and down to virgin soil even if that means digging to the level of your basement footers. Then you can build your footer all the way up from there. Or, they will allow the hole to be back filled with clean crushed stone like #57 then pour your footer on top of that. The top of the stone level must be low enough for the bottom of your footer to be below the frost line.

There are other alternatives but in my area the all require a professional Engineer to sign off on the plan and inspect. So, in most cases digging a bigger hole and back filling with stone is less expensive. Just keep in mind that this is how things work in my county in NC. You should talk with your Building Inspections Dept before beginning anything to find out what they want to see.

Old 09-01-15, 09:42 AM
Thanks folks!

stickshift,
It was backfilled with clay(from the property). It's been about 10 months or so.

Old 09-01-15, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, you'll need to talk to the AHJ. I figured if it had been several years and it was something solid you might be able to talk them into saying the material had settled enough to be viable.