Abrasive material for concrete

Old 09-10-15, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Abrasive material for concrete

Hello everyone..

I'm getting ready to work on a concrete project at my house and I was wondering which abrasive material should I use with my angle polisher. The surface I will be working on is smooth enough. It just needs some sanding and polishing (maybe 400 to 2000 grit). And since this probably be a one time project for me, I don't really want to spend on fancy diamond abrasive pads. So I was wondering if their are cheaper alternatives that would work on concrete. Would good old aluminium oxide discs work GOOD ENOUGH (doesn't have to be great)? If not, what would u suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-15, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
What are you trying to do/accomplish and what size an area do you want to polish?

Old 09-11-15, 07:53 PM
For now I want to sand and polish a counter top. Size is ~25 square feet.

Old 09-12-15, 04:00 PM
It's recommended to use water while polishing concrete. The water carries away the particles that are removed, keeps down the dust and prolongs the life of the abrasive pad. I'm not sure if there are any non-diamond pads available that are water resistant. Have you done any pricing of diamond pads? I've actually seen some that were reasonably priced.

Old 09-19-15, 05:29 AM
i like wet polishing as there's MUCH LESS dust altho many pro's polish dry however they're using 3phase walk-behind machines,,, find a lo speed 4" grinder - pads are cheap - granquartz is probably your best source [ no $ interest ],,, you COULD do this w/hand pads if you're under 50 otherwise you might die 1st

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 09-19-15 at 06:31 AM. Reason: removed bold
Old 09-19-15, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Just so happens I have been looking at some diamond pads (and other tools) on eBay to fabricate some granite scraps. You can get a set of pads for less than $25 with a backer pad. Only issue is diamond pads are designed to be run at 5000 rpm or less. A grinder is 11,000 rpms and you could burn up the pads quickly. You could get a speed control for your grinder or get a set with a polisher too. I see a variable speed grinder available on eBay for $40

Old 09-21-15, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Worthy of further research, if you have air available an automotive type orbital sander and wet/dry sandpaper may work.